[PlanetCCRMA] New install - FC5/SMP - Ardour fails w/"illegal instruction"

Sun Jan 7 21:29:01 2007

On Sat, 2007-01-06 at 18:16 -0800, Anthony Green wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-01-06 at 16:59 -0500, James P. Early wrote:
> > Greetings,
> >   I successfully completed a FC5/PlanetCCRMA installation/upgrade according to
> > the posted instructions. I then used yum to install Ardour. I next tried to run
> > Ardour, but it consistently fails to load with the following error:
> >
> > [earlyjp@localhost ~]$ ardour
>
> Are you sure you're using the PlanetCCRMA ardour, and not the Fedora
> Extras one?  What does "rpm -qf /usr/bin/ardour" say?
>
> > I found one mention of this error in the PlanetCCRMA achive, but it is unclear
> > if a solution was ever found. Then, I found a mention of the error on the Ardour
> > forum:
> >
> > http://ardour.org/node/159
> >
> > In it, Paul Davis mentions that the error can occur when the package is built
> > using SSE instructions. My system is a dual PII/400, and a cat /proc/cpuinfo
> > does not indicate an SSE flag. Does this mean that I must compile Ardour rather
> > than using the CCRMA package?
>
> I see what's going on.  Ardour dynamically detects SSE h/w and uses
> special SSE routines when running on SSE-enabled hardware, but it _also_
> checks the build platform and enables SSE everywhere if the build system
> is i686.  I'm going to patch ardour in Fedora Extras 5 and 6 to
> unconditionally disable SSE everywhere (except for those special
> routines where we have a runtime test).  I see some other build problems
> as well.  A new ardour should show up in Fedora Extras in the next
> couple of days.

Do you think there may be some perceivable slowdown? (most probably
not). Otherwise maybe an i686 package might be worth considering. Very
few people will be running non-sse capable machines these days.

-- Fernando