[PlanetCCRMA] Installing different versions of jack

Mon Jan 1 16:16:00 2007

On Mon, 2007-01-01 at 12:00 -0500, linuxmedia4@netscape.net wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-12-26 at 17:03 -0500, linuxmedia4@netscape.net wrote:
>  >> I need to be able to install different versions of jack
>  >> on my CCRMA/FC5 system (long story). But no matter what
>  >> I do, it doesn't build right (either with or without a
>  >> repo version installed). Is there a trick to installing
>  >> other versions of jack on a CCRMA/FC5 system?
>
>  > What do you mean "it doesn't build right"? Do you get errors?
>  > Does it work?
>
> sorry... I meant "it doesn't run correctly". It builds fine (no
> appearent errors). But like you said...
>
>  > There are no tricks, I think. If the rpm package is already
>  > installed you should try to install with prefix=/usr (not
>  > /usr/local which is the default). Otherwise you end up with
>  > two simultaneous versions and jack does not deal with that
>  > well. If you install in prefix=/usr you should overwrite
>  > the packaged version (which you could supposedly restore
>  > by forcing a reinstall of that particular rpm).
>
> Yeah... I did install in the default /usr/local tree, and you're right,
> it certainly doesn't deal with two seperate versions. I was afraid that
> if I built it with prefix=/usr that somehow I would have troubles trying
> to re-install a repo version again. But I will try that now that you say
> it is the way to go.
>
> Although... I do believe I did 'yum remove jack-audio-connection-kit',
> then built a different version in /usr/local tree at one time and still
> had problems.

Hmmm, that should work fine, I think. It also depends on which options
you supplied to the configure script. You could download the source
package I use and see what I do when building it (by looking at the spec
file).

> So is the (main) problem that I'm building in /usr/local?

The problem I think is having two versions at the same time in different
locations. Just make sure there's only one, either in /usr/local
or /usr. If you have libraries in /usr/local/lib you should also have an
entry in /etc/ld.so.conf (if you change it you need to do an "ldconfig")
so thay they are picked by the dynamic library loader.

> I'm definatly going to build with prefix=/usr, but I can't do it right
> now. Hopefully soon.
>
>  >> Better yet, are there unseen versions of jack that I can
>  >> install from the repos?
>
>  > Hmmm, not at this time. I could release a newer one.
>
>  > What problems did you have with the current one in fc5?
>
> It has more to do with (what I suspect) is a bug in ecasound (v2.4.4).
> But the bug didn't show up while running ecasound/jack (only
> ecasound/alsa) on FC3/CCRMA. But on FC5/CCRMA, it shows up while running
> ecasound with either jack or alsa. So I need to try the version of jack
> I was running on FC3. Could you tell me what was the last version of
> jack that was available for FC3/CCRMA? I can start there and work
> backwards (sorry... don't remember what version I was running then).

Hmmm, fc3 was 0.99.36-0.1.cvs.rhfc3.ccrma (very old). Fc5's version was
0.101.0-0.2.cvs.rhfc5.ccrma.

> Better yet, if you are going to release a newer version of jack for
> FC5/CCRMA, then I will wait and try that before I build an older version
> in the /usr tree. Could you let me know if you decide to release a newer
> version?

I could try to build one this week... I'm currently using current cvs
for my tests.

Could you elaborate on what is wrong with the ecasound/jack combination?
I can't imagine how jack could be failing...

-- Fernando