[PlanetCCRMA] Re: [PlanetCCRMANews] For Newbie: Better to use Fedora 7? ISO respins for Fedora 7?

Wed Dec 19 18:10:01 2007

On Mon, 2007-12-17 at 11:49 -0500, Lamar Owen wrote:
> On Sunday 09 December 2007, Chuck Cooper wrote:
> > There seem to be lots of (understandable, temporary) glitches with the very
> > new Fedora 8 Planet stuff. Would it be easier for a newbie (me) to start
> > with Fedora 7 and the Fedora 7 version of Planet?
>
> While I don't have an answer to the jido portion of your e-mail, I do have a
> comment on this.
>
> I'm running F8 on my laptop, and am testing the PlanetCCRMA stuff on F8 on the
> laptop.  I've found kernel-rt to be very unstable on this laptop; hard hangs
> are frequent, especially under heavy I/O loads.
>
> On the other hand, I use F7 + PlanetCCRMA heavily on my desktop doing
> multitrack production, and it has been quite stable thus far.

There are a couple of things you could try out on Fedora 8...

a) install the newest Planet CCRMA 2.6.23 kernel, just released today.
It includes a newer version of the realtime preemption patch but I would
not have too much hope it will solve the problems...

b) install an _old_ kernel version based on 2.6.22 that I just released
for f8 (same kernel that I have released for f7). That is a bit tricky
because yum does not allow by default to "downgrade" packages, including
the kernel. You will need to:

- yum install yum-allowdowngrade

and then:

- yum install kernel-rt-2.6.22.10 --allow-downgrade

Good luck!
-- Fernando