[PlanetCCRMA] Planet on Fedora 8 -- basic questions

Keith Sharp kms at passback.co.uk
Thu Dec 6 00:43:01 2007

On Tue, 2007-12-04 at 11:29 +1100, Nicholas Manojlovic wrote:
> 5. I can't remember how to partition when you already have XP
> installed (you may be able to resize an NTFS partition with the Fedora
> installer?), however for practical reasons - it is best to have XP
> installed first so Fedora can set up GRUB for you.

The current version of the Fedora installer cannot do partition resizing
so you'll have to use a different tool.  What I have done in the past
for machines that already have XP is:

1) Boot into XP.

2) Install Partition Magic.

3) Use Partition Magic to shrink the XP partition leaving free space.

4) Reboot to allow Partition Magic to do its work.

5) Reboot again to make sure XP still works

6) Install Fedora allowing it to use the free space you created in step
3.

Keith.