[PlanetCCRMA] Planet on Fedora 8 -- basic questions

Nicholas Manojlovic nicholasmanojlovic at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 16:30:00 2007

------=_Part_17011_8763018.1196728188644

Hi Chuck, your questions seem reasonable. I'll have a stab.

1. Fedora 8 is fine for someone new. In my experience using it with the
CCRMA packages it hasn't been as stable as Fedora 7, but I have been making
some noise with it and it is going okay. CCRMA is indeed available for
Fedora 8.

2. The DVD you have bought will be fine for installing Fedora, however you
will still need access to the Internet - updates come thick and fast and
CCRMA is only available to download at this point. IMO the best approach is
to download and burn your own copy - but each to their own.

3. Short answer, Yes. What will happen to install Fedora with CCRMA is this:
Install Fedora 8 -> install the Planet ccrma repository -> download/install
the ccrma packages -> reboot into a low latency kernel.  You can of course
reboot into any other kernel installed on your machine, however for best use
you'll need the low latency kernel (which comes from ccrma).

4. I also have a Delta 44 - it sounds quite good and it works flawlessly. I
have set my machine to play mp3s, movies etc with my in built Intel card,
and use my Delta for recording work. Easy to achieve. My most productive
results are all under 5ms latency, although this can be pushed. IMO,
anything under 5ms feels 'real'.

5. I can't remember how to partition when you already have XP installed (you
may be able to resize an NTFS partition with the Fedora installer?), however
for practical reasons - it is best to have XP installed first so Fedora can
set up GRUB for you.

Not sure how helpful this has been, happy to elaborate on anything I haven't
made clear.

Cheers

On Dec 4, 2007 11:01 AM, Chuck Cooper <plangent2@comcast.net> wrote:

> I got freshly turned on to Planet CCRMA talking with Julius Smith at a
> conference, and  now I'm starting to set it up on two different machines,
> one of them brand-new with only XP installed.  My questions are pretty basic
> but perhaps timely since I gather Fedora 8 is pretty new.  I haven't used
> Linux in several years and was never fluent...
>
> 1) Is Fedora 8 the best/easiest way to go for a newbie?  Both machines
> currently have Windows XP and I'll re-partition the drive(s).  The Planet
> web pages mention older versions of Fedora but then say Fedora 8.
>
> 2)  I would prefer to just buy Fedora 8 in a nice package with a DVD
> instead of downloading, making an ISO image, updating, etc., but I gather
> you can't... But I ordered a "re-spin" DVD (I think) of Fedora 8 from
> DiscountLinuxDVD.com for a tiny price.   Is this a good approach?  Was
> this re-spin really only released a coupla weeks ago?
>
> 3)  Is it OK to skip loading the low-latency kernel for my initial
> activities, then try it later?  Even a 15 ms latency would be fine for now
> and I won't have anything else (intentionally) running on the machine.  I'm
> a little afraid of screwing things up.
>
> 4)  What's a good sound card to buy these days?  I still have an
> M-Audio Delta 4x4 recommended by CCRMA many years ago, and it worked fine
> with Linux then in the earliest days of Alsa.  Is this still a good thing to
> buy for a 2nd machine?  I don't mind spending a few hundred bucks, but don't
> need lots of IO channels or super-low noise. I do need low latency.  Also,
> is an external USB audio interface like the M-Audio Mobile-Pre reasonably
> low-latency with Planet/Alsa?  I already have two of those.
>
> 5) Finally, and sorry for all these basic questions:  I gather Linux
> mavens would use GRUB to do the multiple-boot setup (I want to have both XP
> and Fedora), but I was thinking that for an old-guy Linux newbie like me
> that Partition Magic (now from Symantec) might be easier/safer. Advice?  Or
> would I use Partition Magic first in XP (to set up a partition for
> Linux) and then GRUB jumps in as part of the Fedora install?
>
> Thanks for your help. I'm excited about landing on Planet CCRMA.
>
> Chuck Cooper

------=_Part_17011_8763018.1196728188644

Hi Chuck, your questions seem reasonable. I&#39;ll have a stab.<br><br>1. Fedora 8 is fine for someone new. In my experience using it with the CCRMA packages it hasn&#39;t been as stable as Fedora 7, but I have been making some noise with it and it is going okay. CCRMA is indeed available for Fedora 8.
plangent2@comcast.net</a>&gt; wrote:<br><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;"><div>

DiscountLinuxDVD.com for a tiny price.&nbsp;&nbsp; Is this a good approach?&nbsp; Was this re-spin&nbsp;really only released a coupla weeks ago?</div>

------=_Part_17011_8763018.1196728188644--