[PlanetCCRMA] YUM chews up my karma, and spits out evil

Thu Aug 30 10:19:02 2007

On Fri, 2007-08-24 at 10:37 -0700, Ken Dawson wrote:
> Hello,
>
> (sorry that this reply got a bit lengthy. I am stuck currently by this)
> As referenced in another thread, I am seeing this problem as well --
> pretty much continuously in the last couple of weeks.

I imagine some big isp has turned on something that is affecting caching
of pages (comcast in your case)... I seem to have seen more problems
recently.

> I have two systems, one with f6 + planetccrma and another onto which
> I want to install f7 + planetccrma. On both systems I experience these
> mismatch problems wrt/ planetccrma's packages, but also, I suspect,
> wrt/ fedora packages as well.
> But, it seems that, whereas fedora has a couple dozen backup mirrors
> to jump to, so far as I know, the planet has just itself (I tried
> looking at the ircam site, but it is not current).  And a failure
> there is pretty much the end.
>
> I did an experiment ("which is not scientific", as they say in the ads):
>
> First, I sat at home, and tried to do a "yum clean all", "yum upgrade",
> and bombed out with alsa, ardour2 and supercollider consistency issues.
>
> Then, I hopped in my trusty minivan and headed to Googleland (the streets
> of Mountain View), and tried the same thing sitting in the 90ish heat
> some 30 yards from a wireless access point.

Hi neighbour! :-)

> It was slower, but the second attempt, the lamppost upgrade, worked perfectly.
>
> Suggestive.

Yup, different isp I guess.
Google wireless (not evil) vs. comcast cable (evil)...

> I am new to this concept of ISPs caching content. Wouldn't the preponderance
> of some other OS's traffic tend to flush humble little planetccrma's information
> from that cache very quickly?
>
> Otherwise, the mechanism doesn't seem to be behaving much like the cache
> I studied in school.  If the source of the information changes, the cache
> version should be flushed in favor of the new information.  Right?

Apparently it depends on the configuration of the server as well as the
cache itself. I hit the books, oh well, the web, and came up with:

  http://www.mnot.net/cache_docs/

(and other links)
Which explains the behavior and how to control it.

> I believe that if I were to use rsync to suck over the planetccrma-f7
> repository (to then install it locally), the cache would not be involved,
> and the proper information would be obtained.  Maybe I'm dreaming.

Yes, that would probably work.

> I don't have a workplace to VPN into, nor an available http proxy to
> work through, so I am dead in the water.  My f7 install languishes,
> ready to capture the planet packages, but awaiting some new approach
> to make it at least even odds that it will succeed. (Did a complete f7
> + planetccrma install a few days ago, and it was very ugly.)
>
> Does anyone with more Internet sophistication have any insights into
> this problem and possible work-arounds or solutions?  I would really
> appreciated them.

I just added a:

  Header append Cache-Control "nocache"

header to the /planetccrma/mirror/ directory in our web server.
Hopefully caches will respect its wishes and information should be
checked against the source before serving a file from the cache:

"* no-cache: forces caches to submit the request to the origin server
for validation before releasing a cached copy, every time. This is
useful to assure that authentication is respected (in combination with
public), or to maintain rigid freshness, without sacrificing all of the
benefits of caching."

I tested it and the server is sending out the cache-control directive in
the headers of the requests, so hopefully this will work. Please let me
know if you still see the problem (I guess it might take a while for
things to percolate through the still valid caches).

-- Fernando