[PlanetCCRMA] YUM chews up my karma, and spits out evil

Ken Dawson dawsonwu@rahul.net
Fri Aug 24 10:39:02 2007

Hello,

(sorry that this reply got a bit lengthy. I am stuck currently by this)

As referenced in another thread, I am seeing this problem as well -- pretty much continuously in the last couple of weeks.

I have two systems, one with f6 + planetccrma and another onto which I want to install f7 + planetccrma. On both systems
I experience these mismatch problems wrt/ planetccrma's packages, but also, I suspect, wrt/ fedora packages as well.
But, it seems that, whereas fedora has a couple dozen backup mirrors to jump to, so far as I know, the planet has just
itself (I tried looking at the ircam site, but it is not current).  And a failure there is pretty much the end.

I did an experiment ("which is not scientific", as they say in the ads):

First, I sat at home, and tried to do a "yum clean all", "yum upgrade", and bombed out with alsa, ardour2 and
supercollider consistency issues.

Then, I hopped in my trusty minivan and headed to Googleland (the streets of Mountain View), and tried the same thing
sitting in the 90ish heat some 30 yards from a wireless access point.

It was slower, but the second attempt, the lamppost upgrade, worked perfectly.

Suggestive.

I am new to this concept of ISPs caching content. Wouldn't the preponderance of some other OS's traffic tend to flush
humble little planetccrma's information from that cache very quickly?

Otherwise, the mechanism doesn't seem to be behaving much like the cache I studied in school.  If the source of the
information changes, the cache version should be flushed in favor of the new information.  Right?

I believe that if I were to use rsync to suck over the planetccrma-f7 repository (to then install it locally), the cache
would not be involved, and the proper information would be obtained.  Maybe I'm dreaming.

I don't have a workplace to VPN into, nor an available http proxy to work through, so I am dead in the water.  My f7
install languishes, ready to capture the planet packages, but awaiting some new approach to make it at least even odds
that it will succeed. (Did a complete f7 + planetccrma install a few days ago, and it was very ugly.)

Does anyone with more Internet sophistication have any insights into this problem and possible work-arounds or
solutions?  I would really appreciated them.

Thanks,

/ken