[PlanetCCRMA] disk performance

jeff moe@blagblagblag.org
Thu Aug 9 11:04:02 2007

Peter Hartmann escribió:
> Just heard about this from the k12ltsp list. I bet it would help us a lot too.
>
> http://kerneltrap.org/node/14148
>

> so change an fstab line from
> LABEL=/home  /home ext3 defaults 1 2
> to:
> LABEL=/home /home ext3  rw,suid,dev,exec,auto,nouser,async,noatime  1 2

rw,suid,dev,exec,auto,nouser,async  are all on by default in Fedora, so adding
them wouldn't make any change.

noatime prevents the filesystem from updating the access time of the file. In
other words, every time a file is OPENED, by default the filesystem writes to
the inode the time. This way you can see when a file was last accessed. This is
turned off when "noatime" is used. It can have a huge impact on something like
a webserver serving up many files, but will not affect something like ardour at
all. It is only useful when you are reading many many files.

nodiratime is basically like noatime, but for directories. Again, it won't have
a big impact in this use case.

That said, something like noatime/nodiratime can speed up booting and such a bit.

-Jeff