[PlanetCCRMA] File-browser & nm-applet

Fri Apr 6 15:49:01 2007

On Fri, 2007-04-06 at 18:16 -0400, Dan Easley wrote:
> Thanks for your translation last week, Fernando. ;)
>
> On 4/6/07, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano <nando@ccrma.stanford.edu> wrote:
> > On Fri, 2007-04-06 at 11:06 -0600, Mitch L Pond wrote:
> > > After resent,
> >
> > What do you mean "after resent"?
>
> He means after a recent update - two days ago.
>
> > > 2 days ago, update nm-applet claims to already running.
> > > The file-browser runs with no connection to the file system, trying to
> > > kill it repeatedly does nothing and my desktop is totally useless, no
> > > Menu or icons.
> > > The 2 problems seam related. and have tried to re-update.
> > > Luckily FF and TB spawn automatically.
> >
> > What are FF and TB?
>
> These must be firefox and thunderbird (email client)

I should have caught that :-(

> > > All updates are CCRMA. FC5
> > > Anybody else experiencing this and/or have a fix.
> >
> > I don't think I follow what's happening.
> > Could you describe the problem in more detail?
> >
> > If you do a "top" do you see a process using a lot of cpu or other
> > resource?
>
> Sounds like X isn't loading a window manager or something like that.
> Is there some fedora package-reconfigure sort of command that would
> restore Xwindows defaults?

One option would be to move away (rename) the gnome configuration files
in his home directory. A way that occurred to be me test if this might
be the case is to create a new user and login as that user. If
everything works then most probably there's a preference that has
something broken.

Candidates would be ~/.gnome2 ~/.gnome-desktop ~/.gnome_private and/or
perhaps ~/.gconfd ~/.gconf (for example)

You can go to a text console (<ctrl><alt>F1 for example), login and move
files around from the terminal.

It sounds unlikely this is due to an update. You can always check what
has changed lately (in the rpm world) by doing:
  rpm -q -a --last|more
Maybe one of the recent changes will ring a bell as a possible culprit.

-- Fernando