[PlanetCCRMA] japa trouble

Tue Apr 3 10:16:01 2007

On Tue, 2007-04-03 at 09:19 +0200, Michael E. Smith wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-04-02 at 11:09 -0700, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
>
> > > What processor are you running on?
> > > I'll check the build, most probably the new version is building for p4
> > > class machines and you have a processor that is missing one/some of the
> > > instructions it needs.
>
> Both machines on AMD, albeit different versions.
>
> The one that did NOT work with japa:
>
> vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
> cpu family      : 6
> model           : 10
> model name      : AMD Athlon(tm) XP 3000+

Hmmm, strange, I would have imagined this one would have worked.

> The one that DID work with japa (in 32-bit mode):
>
> vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
> cpu family      : 15
> model           : 4
> model name      : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+
>

> Is p4 your default target when building these applications?

No, it is normally what is default for Fedora as a whole (requires at
least a PentiumPro I believe).

> What about kernels?

The kernels are built for i686. I don't do i586 builds anymore.

> I've been building my own ardour for a while now. Maybe I should
> consider the same for additional "critical" stuff I use. Do you
> recommend this, or only when there is a specific problem like I've
> encountered with japa?

Only when you have a problem. On current CPUs there is not that much
advantage to building for, say, i686 instead of i386 (it used to be a
recurring thread in many lists when somebody would come up with the idea
of "optimizing" a distro).

> Is there a way for us to see how you've configured builds (particularly
> kernels) so that we might be able to tweak our own, perhaps only
> changing the target architecture?

You could download the source package, I guess...

> > I rebuilt a new version without the -march=pentium4 default flag, it
> > should work on all processors (I hope), albeit probably slightly slower.
> > Let me know how it goes...
>
> Ok, I've updated, and although I've not yet tested it with signal, it
> doesn't quit now!

Then it should work.

> Thanks again, Fernando. You never cease to amaze me with all that you
> do. You don't really ever sleep, do you?

Every once in a while I do :-)
-- Fernando