[PlanetCCRMA] japa trouble

Michael E. Smith melkhorn@gmx.de
Tue Apr 3 00:20:03 2007

On Mon, 2007-04-02 at 11:09 -0700, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:

> > What processor are you running on?
> > I'll check the build, most probably the new version is building for p4
> > class machines and you have a processor that is missing one/some of the
> > instructions it needs.

Both machines on AMD, albeit different versions.

The one that did NOT work with japa:

vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 6
model           : 10
model name      : AMD Athlon(tm) XP 3000+

The one that DID work with japa (in 32-bit mode):

vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 15
model           : 4
model name      : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+

Is p4 your default target when building these applications? What about
kernels?

I've been building my own ardour for a while now. Maybe I should
consider the same for additional "critical" stuff I use. Do you
recommend this, or only when there is a specific problem like I've
encountered with japa?

Is there a way for us to see how you've configured builds (particularly
kernels) so that we might be able to tweak our own, perhaps only
changing the target architecture?

> I rebuilt a new version without the -march=pentium4 default flag, it
> should work on all processors (I hope), albeit probably slightly slower.
> Let me know how it goes...

Ok, I've updated, and although I've not yet tested it with signal, it
doesn't quit now!

Thanks again, Fernando. You never cease to amaze me with all that you
do. You don't really ever sleep, do you?

> -- Fernando

--Michael