[PlanetCCRMA] FC3 to FC5 on PIII -733

bernie arai bernie.arai@gmail.com
Thu Sep 21 00:21:06 2006

On 9/20/06, Roy Vestal <rvestal@trilug.org> wrote:
> My current Planet CCRMA machine is a PIII 733 MHz. I'm running FC3 due
> to the older hardware. I was wondering if anyone has an older machine
> like this running FC5 and could give a thumbs up or down on upgrading
> from FC3 to FC5. I do record between 2-4 instruments at one time.
>
> My simple setup for now:
> PIII-733 MHz
> 384MB RAM (Max for the board) PC133MHz
> Delta 1010

hi roy, i also use a pIIII 733Mhz 384MB and i upraded from planet fc1
to fc5 (well, fresh install) and i have no complaints.  it's a little
slower, but not annoyingly so.  it sooo nice having newer packages
available!  i haven't tested it with recording more than two channels
simultaneously yet, but the soft synth and sequencing runs just fine,
and i use fluxbox as a wm to make things a little leaner, although for
basic desktop stuff i even use gnome and it's bearable.

hth,

bernie