[PlanetCCRMA] No sound whatsoever...

Wed Sep 20 16:46:02 2006

On Wed, 2006-09-20 at 22:47 +0100, christopher melen wrote:
> Hi Fernando,
>
> 'cat /proc/asound/cards' gives  -
>
> 0 [AudioPCI ]:ENS1371 - Ensoniq AudioPCI
>               Ensoniq AudioPCI ENS1371 at Oxecc0, irq
> 9
>
> 'cat /proc/asound/devices' gives -
>
> 8:  [0- 0]: raw midi
> 17: [0- 1]: digital audio playback
> 16: [0- 0]: digital audio playback
> 24: [0- 0]: digital audio capture
> 0:  [0- 0]: ctl
> 1:        : sequencer
> 33:       : timer
>

> 'ps axuw|grep arts' yields nothing, but 'ps axuw|grep
> esd' gives -
>
> root      3986   0.0   0.2   3720  640    pts/1    s+
>   21:46      0:00 grep esd

That's the grep itself showing up...

> esd doesn't seem to actually be running, so nothing to
> disable there. Still no sound even after trying gamix
> (don't seem to have alsamixer, and couldn't open
> qamix).

Hmmm, you should have alsamixer if you installed ccrma's version of
alsa-utils. What kernel and alsa are you running?

  uname -r
  cat /proc/asound/version

> I have been testing the soundcard from the system
> menu.

I've never used that so I can't comment...
I'd try starting some "known good" application, I usually use Hydrogen
(a drum machine) for that as it comes with demo songs you can load right
after installing it. It can work with alsa directly or through jack.

-- Fernando