[PlanetCCRMA] modem controller

izzy atorima@vfemail.net
Mon Oct 23 09:04:02 2006

Greetings!

I recently upgraded from Fedora core 4 to 5. It is running on my laptop
with an RME Multiface and the onboard "Intel Corporation 82801CA/CAM
AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)"  They are configured as -

# "alias snd-card-0 snd-hdsp" and "alias snd-card-1 snd-intel8x0"

So far, so good!

The problem is that the soft modem ends up as 'default' pcm_device often
as not instead of  'snd-intel8x0'  (I prefer to use the onboard sound
card as default for media players, etc) I've tried to override this by
adding a line in '/etc/modprobe.cong'-

"alias snd-modemname off" as per the alsa wiki, but I'm not quite sure
of the syntax? or proper incantation? Currently, I have -

alias snd-modem snd-intel-ICH3  off

Not sure if this really working or if I just got lucky as it booted. I
had something like 'alias snd-conextant off" and some other variations
and it seemed hit or miss as to what got loaded first at boot. This
morning everything was in order, but that could change the next time.

This is my 'lspci' output for the Intel soundcard-

#  $ /sbin/lspci
00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801CA/CAM AC'97
Audio Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.6 Modem: Intel Corporation 82801CA/CAM AC'97 Modem Controller (rev 02)
and
# $ /sbin/lspci -v
00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801CA/CAM AC'97
Audio Controller (rev 02)
        Subsystem: Cirrus Logic Crystal WMD Audio Codec
        I/O ports at d800 [size=256]
        I/O ports at dc80 [size=64]

00:1f.6 Modem: Intel Corporation 82801CA/CAM AC'97 Modem Controller (rev
02) (prog-if 00 [Generic])
        Subsystem: Conexant MD56ORD V.92 MDC Modem
        I/O ports at d400 [size=256]
        I/O ports at dc00 [size=128]

Gnome audio preferences list the Intel devices as "Intel 82801CA-ICH3
(Alsa mixer)" and "Intel 82801CA-ICH3 Modem (Alsa Mixer"

and this is my '/etc/modprobe.conf'

# $ cat /etc/modprobe.conf
alias eth0 3c59x
alias snd-modem snd-intel-ICH3  off
alias snd-card-0 snd-hdsp
options snd-card-0 index=0
options snd-hdsp index=0
remove snd-hdsp { /usr/sbin/alsactl store 0 >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; };
/sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-hdsp
alias snd-card-1 snd-intel8x0
options snd-card-1 index=1
options snd-intel8x0 index=1
remove snd-intel8x0 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store 1 >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ;
}; /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-intel8x0

That is probably not right, but I'm just guessing here. Any help would
be very appreciated.

Thanks,
Izzy