[PlanetCCRMA] recording and latency with ardour

Roy Vestal vestal@trilug.org
Wed Oct 11 23:47:01 2006

I'm working on my first project with Ardour instead of ProTools. I want
to be able to record while playing back...i have a headphone monitor and
would like to be able to record live, say vocals and piano (in stereo)
while using a scratch track and hydrogen as a click track (bug in jack
seems to prevent using click in ardour).

I'm looking at hardware monitoring vs software monitoring for this. I'm
trying to understand how envy24ctl can be used to control my output in
realtime.

Here's my setup:

FC5/CCRMA/Delta1010/AMD Sempron 3000+ with 512MB RAM
QJackCtl/JACK-Rack/Envy24Ctl
Ardour/Hydrogen

First 8 inputs to Ardour 1-8 (respectively)
Ardour outputs to Ardour Master Outs
Master Outs to outputs 1 and 2 (L/R respectively)
Aux 1 to headphone amp Left
Aux 2 to headphone amp Right

My ideas:
1: My board has TRS Send/Receive Inserts on each channel. Set each input
directly back to the output, as well as Ardour and not use the Master
Out during recording, but for playback

2: route all inputs to Envy24Ctl as well as Ardour, and route Envy24Ctl
outs (stereo) to outputs 1 and 2 on the board.

Do either of these sound correct/feesable to get rid of any latency for
recording?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...
Roy