[PlanetCCRMA] Recompiling CCRMA kernels

Python python@venix.com
Mon Oct 2 06:22:01 2006

On Sun, 2006-10-01 at 12:33 +0200, Guillaume Morgenstern wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Im new to fc5+ccrma. I want to recompile ccrma rt kernels and add my own
> options : SCSI, usb storage etc.. its good i got now low latency but i
> cant read samples from my samplers using card readers anymore..

I assume you are looking to boot from usb??  Otherwise the usb support
is provided by modules and should generally just work.  To boot from a
usb device you can use the "regular" kernel, but do need to add usb
support to the initial ram disk (initrd).  The command mkinitrd will
handle the details.

mkinitrd --with-usb --preload=ehci-hcd --preload=usb-storage --preload=scsi_mod --preload=sd_mod /boot/usbinitrd-2.6.15-1.2054_FC5.img 2.6.15-1.2054_FC5
        meanings of the arguments:
        --with-usb adds waits for USB hardware searches to finish
                ehci-hcd is the USB search (hardware abstraction)
                usb-storage is the usb storage commands
                scsi_mod scsi command module
                sd_mod scsi device module
        The kernel version should be changed to fit

You will need to create a matching entry for the kernel/initrd
combination in
	/boot/grub/grub.conf

This has worked for me.  I think my description of the parameters is
reasonably accurate.