[PlanetCCRMA] problem starting jackd on FC6

Brian Herrmann atorima@vfemail.net
Sat Nov 18 18:13:01 2006

--------------020605090207010200090605

Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-11-18 at 03:42 -0800, Brian Herrmann wrote:
>
>>   I have installed Fedora Core 6 and while waiting for Planet Core FC6
>> to be built was just messing around. I realized however, that I would
>> need a few things not available from Fedora extras like alsa-tools and
>> alsa-firmware to get my HDSP Multiface up and running.  Fortunately, I
>> was able to install the Planet FC5 rpms without problem and did not
>> have to resort to building from source, etc.   So good, so far.
>>
>>  Somethings like the jack-audio-connection-kit and Qjackctl are
>> available from FC6 extras and so, I installed them thinking to see
>> what sort of performaceand whatever else I could get going with the
>> base system, but trying to start jackd using Qjackctl I get this:
>>
>> 01:14:00.664 JACK is starting...
>> 01:14:00.665 jackd -R -dalsa -r44100 -p1024 -n2 -D -Chw:0,0 -Phw:0,0
>> -H
>> 01:14:00.679 JACK was started with PID=3342 (0xd0e).
>> jackd 0.102.20
>> --copyright stuff...
>> JACK compiled with System V SHM support.
>> cannot use real-time scheduling (FIFO at priority 10) [for thread
>> -1208138048, from thread -1208138048] (1: Operation not permitted)
>> cannot create engine
>> 01:14:00.881 JACK was stopped successfully.
>> 01:14:02.693 Could not connect to JACK server as client. Please check
>> the messages window for more info.
>>

> You need to edit a configuration to allow non-root users to have access
> to realtime scheduling and memory locking (that was "automatically" done
> in Planet CCRMA with a patched version of the pam package).
>
> In /etc/security/limits.conf add:
>
> --- cut here ---
> # or (default) allow everyone access
> *               -       rtprio          99
> *               -       nice            -10
> *               -       memlock         4000000
> --- cut here ---
>
> You'll need to logout and login again for that to take effect.
> -- Fernando

  It worked beautifully.  Problem solved before I could even get those
guitar strings changed!

Thank You, Fernando!

B.

>> >From the terminal:
>>
>> $ jackd -R -d alsa -d hw -r 44100 start
>> --copywrite stuff..
>> JACK compiled with System V SHM support.
>> cannot use real-time scheduling (FIFO at priority 10) [for thread
>> -1208932672, from thread -1208932672] (1: Operation not permitted)
>> cannot create engine
>>
>> $ jackd -d alsa -d hw -r 44100 start
>> jackd 0.102.20
>> Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
>> jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
>> This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
>> under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details
>>
>> JACK compiled with System V SHM support.
>> apparent rate = 44100
>> creating alsa driver ... hw|hw|1024|2|44100|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
>> configuring for 44100Hz, period = 1024 frames, buffer = 2 periods
>> ALSA: final selected sample format for capture: 16bit little-endian
>> ALSA: use 2 periods for capture
>> ALSA: final selected sample format for playback: 16bit little-endian
>> ALSA: use 2 periods for playback
>> jack main caught signal 2
>> no message buffer overruns
>>
>> Well, I guess that sort of answers my own question.... No R/T patches
>> no --realtime-priority option for jackd?
>>
>> Am looking at Qjackctl, qjackctlrc (and looking for .jackdrc and not
>> finding)  and how to remove option -R
>>
>> Anyway, time to change the strings on the classical guitar...a
>> different kind of problem. Nice to have choices!
>>
>> Brian
>>
>> --
>> Digital Transmissions From An Analog World

Digital Transmissions From An Analog World <http://hermetic.freeshell.org/>

--------------020605090207010200090605

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
 type="cite">
  <pre wrap="">On Sat, 2006-11-18 at 03:42 -0800, Brian Herrmann wrote:
  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">  I have installed Fedora Core 6 and while waiting for Planet Core FC6
[...]

&nbsp; It worked beautifully.&nbsp; Problem solved before I could even get those
guitar strings changed!<br>
Thank You, Fernando!<br>
B.<br>
 type="cite">