[PlanetCCRMA] problem starting jackd on FC6

Sat Nov 18 17:41:01 2006

On Sat, 2006-11-18 at 03:42 -0800, Brian Herrmann wrote:
>   I have installed Fedora Core 6 and while waiting for Planet Core FC6
> to be built was just messing around. I realized however, that I would
> need a few things not available from Fedora extras like alsa-tools and
> alsa-firmware to get my HDSP Multiface up and running.  Fortunately, I
> was able to install the Planet FC5 rpms without problem and did not
> have to resort to building from source, etc.   So good, so far.
>
>  Somethings like the jack-audio-connection-kit and Qjackctl are
> available from FC6 extras and so, I installed them thinking to see
> what sort of performaceand whatever else I could get going with the
> base system, but trying to start jackd using Qjackctl I get this:
>
> 01:14:00.664 JACK is starting...
> 01:14:00.665 jackd -R -dalsa -r44100 -p1024 -n2 -D -Chw:0,0 -Phw:0,0
> -H
> 01:14:00.679 JACK was started with PID=3342 (0xd0e).
> jackd 0.102.20
> --copyright stuff...
> JACK compiled with System V SHM support.
> cannot use real-time scheduling (FIFO at priority 10) [for thread
> -1208138048, from thread -1208138048] (1: Operation not permitted)
> cannot create engine
> 01:14:00.881 JACK was stopped successfully.
> 01:14:02.693 Could not connect to JACK server as client. Please check
> the messages window for more info.

You need to edit a configuration to allow non-root users to have access
to realtime scheduling and memory locking (that was "automatically" done
in Planet CCRMA with a patched version of the pam package).

In /etc/security/limits.conf add:

--- cut here ---
# or (default) allow everyone access
*               -       rtprio          99
*               -       nice            -10
*               -       memlock         4000000
--- cut here ---

You'll need to logout and login again for that to take effect.
-- Fernando