[PlanetCCRMA] Re: Running a Dell Inspiron 8100 on a Planet DAW

LinuxMedia linuxmedia4@netscape.net
Wed May 17 17:20:02 2006

On Tue, 16 May 2006 15:56:04 -0400, Matt Barber <brbrofsvl@gmail.com> wrote:
 > I am not running an Inspiron 8100, but an Inspiron 8200, just fine.

Thanks for responding Matt. There seems to be very little information
about Laptops running on a Planet setup. Just a few questions if you
don't mind...

 > So far the only problems that I've faced have been in heavy
 > disk-streaming situations, where I'm playing multiple soundfiles
 > through pd or some such.

What's your definition of "heavy disk-streaming". For instance, do you
recall aproximatly how many sound files streaming and what
BitRate/SampleRate? Also, what happened? Was there overruns or underruns?

 > I'm currently using Fedora Core 3 with the planet setup; nearly
everything
 > here is slick and enjoyable.  It does recognize the onboard sound here
 > (intel8x0), but it's not the best by far.

How do you mean this? Is there a major problem or is it the just the low
quality sound that one would expect from a built in sound card?

 > In the next couple of weeks I'm going to be helping a buddy install
 > FC3 on his 8100, so I can let you know how it turns out

Great, I'm very excited to hear the results!!!

 > -- on the 8200, I remember having to install in text-mode
 > because the xorg drivers for the video card (nvidia) didn't
 > work during the install.  I can't remember if they worked
 > after the install, but the nvidia drivers work great.

Are you saying that you downloaded the nvidia drivers from somewhere and
had to install/configure them? If so, was it pretty strait forward or
does this require a higher level of understanding about X and configuring X?

Thanks,
Rocco