[PlanetCCRMA] Planet CCRMA menu tree for fcx

Wed May 3 10:49:01 2006

On Wed, 2006-05-03 at 13:56 +0200, Luis Garrido wrote:
> > There are two aspects to this, one is how to split apps into categories,
> > and the second is what visible names to give the categories. Things can
>
> For inspiration (and eventually cross-distro cohesiveness, if you find
> it convincing) you can check how the Agnula/DeMuDi guys solve the
> issue.

They have something similar, I did a quick search yesterday and did not
find an obvious place where this is documented. I do have something in
my mailboxes but it is old (end of 2003).

> > Any thoughts?
>
> Somehow this doesn't sound very hi-priority to me.

I guess it is not, except I would like to have something in place before
I generate more .desktop files.

> I personally don't have any problems with the present menu system
> because I only install and use a small number of applications. I
> wonder how many people actually use such a big number of applications
> that menu categorization is indeed useful. I don't think it is
> practical to traverse three levels of submenus to reach qjackctl.
> OTOH, it will be of great help for newcomers that want to experiment
> what Linux audio has to offer.

It is, if you install the "default" planetccrma-audiovideoapps the main
sound menu is becomes sort of unmanageable. "Pro" users can always
create a custom menu with their preferred apps.

> I think a good idea would be to setup a wiki that had one section per
> application. You (we) could include there info like:
>
> - installation
> - configuration (among other things, how to use it with jack/alsa)
> - faq/tips
> - link to the app website.
>
> This in fact exists already, but it is heavily outdated. A wiki system
> would make maintenance easier and shareable.

Yep, I intend to open a wiki for Planet CCRMA... If page naming is
standarized we could have cross links from the repoview pages to the
wiki and back.

> There you can give tips like "don't launch this app from the menu if
> jack is not running."

True, but how many people would actually read it? :-)
I'd rather have a way to make things work out of the box, but in many
cases it is not really possible.

> Just some thoughts.

Thanks! Anything helps...
-- Fernando