[PlanetCCRMA] Planet CCRMA menu tree for fcx

Luis Garrido luisgarrido@users.sourceforge.net
Wed May 3 04:57:03 2006

> There are two aspects to this, one is how to split apps into categories,
> and the second is what visible names to give the categories. Things can

For inspiration (and eventually cross-distro cohesiveness, if you find
it convincing) you can check how the Agnula/DeMuDi guys solve the
issue.

> Any thoughts?

Somehow this doesn't sound very hi-priority to me.

I personally don't have any problems with the present menu system
because I only install and use a small number of applications. I
wonder how many people actually use such a big number of applications
that menu categorization is indeed useful. I don't think it is
practical to traverse three levels of submenus to reach qjackctl.
OTOH, it will be of great help for newcomers that want to experiment
what Linux audio has to offer.

I think a good idea would be to setup a wiki that had one section per
application. You (we) could include there info like:

- installation
- configuration (among other things, how to use it with jack/alsa)
- faq/tips
- link to the app website.

This in fact exists already, but it is heavily outdated. A wiki system
would make maintenance easier and shareable.

There you can give tips like "don't launch this app from the menu if
jack is not running."

Just some thoughts.

Luis