[PlanetCCRMA] Question on hardware hookups

Joe Hartley jh@brainiac.com
Tue May 2 03:40:02 2006

On Mon, 01 May 2006 23:15:38 +0000
Roy Vestal <rvestal@trilug.org> wrote:

> Ok...I'm new to the DAW world (as seen by my previous questions!) so
> please bear with my naivety here. I'm familiar with analog studios and
> live sound, but not a digital studio setup.
>
> Anyway, I've pretty much settled on getting a Delta 1010, 10 in/out TRS.

A minor point here, the 1010 has 8 TRS I/O channels and SPDIF for another 2.

> My question is when recording or playing back, do I need to
> route this through one of the channels back to the board and use it as
> my "sound card", or do I need a seperate sound card in the PC?

The 1010 will act as the soundcard.  In fact, it's usually preferable
to only have the 1010 in the system.

> Also, I'm starting small. I currently want to go digital so I can do
> local work, such as jingles for local ad agencies, and radio as well as
> some voice overs. I'm thinking of starting with the Delta 44. My
> question:  If I want to add a second card, such as another Delta 44 or
> even a Delta 1010, will they work together?

The short answer is that it'll take some work.  2 1010s can supposedly
be synced together using the word clock on one card as the timing source
for the second, but I don't have 2 1010's to try it with.  Two 44's can
supposedly be modified to use a single clock between them, but it requires
some soldering.

I really like the 1010, and think the support in Linux is great.