[PlanetCCRMA] FC5 app problems

BJaY BJaY@safe-mail.net
Mon Jun 26 06:25:51 2006

/Hi Rui... I think Bruce may have stumbled into a Qsynth bug (or
/feature? :-)...
/
/On Sat, 2006-06-24 at 13:59 +0100, BJaY wrote:
/> /On Fri, 2006-06-23 at 23:07 +0100, BJaY wrote:
/> /You say you can't save Qsynth settings. I'm trying this in fc5 and it
/> /seems to be working:
/>
/> /I start qsynth which already had one fluidsynth instance defined, I
/> /added another one - no soundfont loaded because I don't have a small one
/> /and two instances of the big one will not fit in memory, then changed
/> /some settings in the second instance, then quit qsynth, then started it
/> /again and both instances came up with their proper settings./
/>
/> /Could you send an exact description of what you do and when it fails?
/>
/> Rename /usr/lib/qt-3.3/settings/qsynthrc (so qsynth creates a new one)

/Hmmm, I don't have that file at all. Are you running as root? In general
/that's not a good idea for security reasons and unnecessary for
/performance. Even when running as root I imagine preferences for
/applications would be stored somewhere in root's home directory
/("/root").

Sorry, typo : /usr/lib/qt-3.3/etc/settings/qsynthrc
I think this is a template setup file that get edited by running as root.
Please see my other reply to Rui.

/In my case preferences for qsynth in my laptop are stored in
/~/.qt/qsynthrc.

/> Setup the first synth :
/>  MIDI
/>   Engine name xxx
/>   ALSA Seq client ID xxx
/>  Audio
/>   Sample Rate 48000
/>   Buffer Size 128
/>   Jack Client Name ID xxx
/>   Uncheck Auto connect
/>   Check Multiple jack outputs
/>   Audio channels 10
/>   Audio Groups 10
/>  SoundFonts
/>   Load a sound font
/>  MIDI
/>   Engine name yyy
/>   ALSA Seq client ID yyy
/>  Audio
/>   Sample Rate 48000
/>   Buffer Size 128
/>   Jack Client Name ID yyy
/>   Uncheck Auto connect
/>   Check Multiple jack outputs
/>   Audio channels 10
/>   Audio Groups 10
/>  SoundFonts
/>   Load a sound font (not sure if this is really necassary)
/> Save options
/> client ID,Jack Client Name ID. Quit and restart and do the same. Looking
at
/> it again it just looks like a qsynth bug.

/What looks like a qsynth bug? (you have to tell what you see, not assume
/that I will see the same thing! :-)

Various things change, and the things that change - change but I'm running
as root.

/If I do the above (except for loading the second soundfont) I see the
/same name I entered for both audio and midi, and that's how they appear
/in the qjackctl patchbay when I restart qsynth.

/But I did notice a problem, quitting qsynth leaves one of the ports (the
/first one) still there in the qjackctl audio patcher. Not always but it
/happens to me most of the time (but I don't see any lefover processes -
/should be a fluidsynth bug and not a qsynth bug).

I also noticed this but, can't see any fluid synth processes when qsynth is
running so I assumed they are in-process.

/Then I tried adding a soundfont to the _second_ instance only (no
/soundfont on the first synth, a soundfont on the second). That does not
/get restored when the app is launched again, looks like a qsynth bug.
/But I do get all ports restored with their proper names.

I discovered (by chance, when my audio HD failed to mount on boot) that if a
font file is not found, it dissappears from the setup page, but will return
next time qsynth is started if the font can be found. I think running as
root may have caused these problems. I'm going to change everything over to
a normal user and see if that makes a difference.

/[BTW, it is always better to keep the thread in the mailing list so
/others and not just me can help]

/> Unfortunately I have ardour set up
/> to connect to the output of these synths and when this fails, because of
the
/> wrong Jack client name, my script produces loads of scary errors.
/>
/> Bruce.