[PlanetCCRMA] introductory question. . . .

Sat Jun 24 13:08:02 2006

On Fri, 2006-06-23 at 13:46 -0600, Brian Heinrich wrote:
> I'm hoping I might be able to clarify some of what's going on by
> replying to some of the suggestions that have been made.
>
> First off, the soundcard is definitely supported
> (<http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/index.php?vendor=vendor-MAudio#matrix>)
> and when I look at the list of hardware in FC 3, the driver is listed.
>
> If I try to do |apt-get -o Acquire::cdrom::mount=/media/cdrecorder
> install planetccrma-core|, I get
>
>     The following packages have unmet dependencies:
>           planetccrma-core: Depends: also-lib-devel ( =
>     1.0.9-0.1.rc1.rhfc3.ccrma)
>         but it is not going to be installed
>     E: Broken packages

So there is a problem with packages that can't be installed because of
version conflicts (or whatever).

The first thing you have to do is to find out what's going on and
properly install all needed packages.

First would be to get a list of the conflicts, you can do that with:
  apt-get check

That will probably repeat the above warning, or maybe add more. The one
above says that the Planet CCRMA alsa-lib package can't be installed
(and if that's where you stopped then all the core components of Planet
CCRMA are missing). So, first, find out what is it you have installed
currently and contains "alsa" in the package name:

  rpm -q -a | grep alsa

That will be a start. From then we can see what is probably the
conflict.

You could also try to pinpoint the culprit directly:

apt-get -o Acquire::cdrom::mount=/media/cdrecorder install alsa-lib

That should print a more specific conflict message.

[BTW: the info in your second email suggests that alsa is not even being
started at all]

-- Fernando