[PlanetCCRMA] Jack Won't start anymore:

Fri Jun 23 10:43:01 2006

On Fri, 2006-06-23 at 08:35 +0100, Mirco wrote:
> I've been using planetccrma-kernel-core for quite a while and it's been
> working perfectly with Qjackctl at 44100/48000 sample rates using my
> C-Media PCI CMI8738 sound card on Fedora 5.
> My system is a Dell Optiplex GX270  Intel P4 2.60Ghz , main memory and
> it's never had a problem running Planetccrma software and in particular
> Jack.
> Now everytime I start qjackctl as per usual at 44100 the server starts
> and then I get these output:

Do you have any clue as that you were doing, testing, installing, etc,
just before this started happening?

> Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
> jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
> under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details
> JACK compiled with System V SHM support.
> apparent rate = 44100
> creating alsa driver ... hw:0|hw:0|1024|2|44100|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
> control device hw:0
> configuring for 44100Hz, period = 1024 frames, buffer = 2 periods
> Note: audio device hw:0 doesn't support a 32bit sample format so JACK
> will try a 24bit format instead
> Note: audio device hw:0 doesn't support a 24bit sample format so JACK
> will try a 16bit format instead
> nperiods = 2 for capture
> nperiods = 2 for playback
> 08:25:33.864 Server configuration saved to "/home/mirco/.jackdrc".
> 08:25:33.869 Statistics reset.
> 08:25:33.876 Client activated.
> 08:25:33.895 Audio connection change.
> 08:25:33.905 Audio connection graph change.
> 08:25:33.932 XRUN callback (1).
> 08:25:35.910 XRUN callback (21 skipped).
> jackd watchdog: timeout - killing jackd

Looks like a jack client is hanging and jack's watchdog is being
activated. Or it could be the soundcard that is not sending interrupts
properly.

> zombified - calling shutdown handler
> 08:25:37.106 Shutdown notification.
> 08:25:37.111 Client deactivated.
> 08:25:37.116 JACK was stopped successfully.
> cannot send request type 7 to server
> cannot read result for request type 7 from server (Broken pipe)
> cannot send request type 7 to server
> cannot read result for request type 7 from server (Broken pipe)
>
> How am I goning to resume activite from Jack server?
> I have already tried to uninstall planetccrma kernel, alsa-driver, alsa
> tools and re-installed again but unsuccesfully.
>
> Why has Jack given up on me?

I don't know :-(

Are you starting jackd from qjackctl?
If so, you could try it from the command line just to make sure nothing
else is involved, the minimum would be:

  jackd -R -d alsa -d hw

-- Fernando