[PlanetCCRMA] Noisy new Sennheiser headphones

Jean-Baptiste Mestelan mestelan@gmail.com
Fri Jun 23 10:21:03 2006

------=_Part_2779_7027390.1151083235549

Well, I am not sure if it will cheer you up, but I also pick a lot on noise
on my Dell.
I use the headhone socket on the built-in soundcard, as I assume you do.
The noise is not noticeable on my old Sennheiser headphones (can't remember
model name), but i get a really nasty sharp buzz when I plug the card output
into my mixing desk.

Funnily enough, the noise greatly depends on system activity.

I am not practical enough on electronics to help you diagnose the problem.
Just a few thoughts :
- The word 'impendance' has been used before and indeed, I would think this
makes a big difference,
- Re : grounding issues: the buzz stops here when the Dell is only powered
by its battery. Have you tried to unplug yours ?

These PCs do have a grounding issue; I have rehearsed with a live band
lately, and even my external Firebox soundcard produced the same annoying
buzz if the Dell was sector-powered. So I left it on battery during the
gigs, and reloaded it during the breaks ...

Peace.