[PlanetCCRMA] introductory question. . . .

Stephen Kelly stephen.kelly@dal.ca
Thu Jun 22 21:41:01 2006

Hey Brian,

I work as Broadcast Technician at CKDU-FM in Halifax.  We've been Unix/Linux
based for a few years now and we use Fedora 3 + ccrma stuff in our production
and on-air computers.  M-Audio's Delta series of audio cards are well
supported
under alsa so I'm pretty sure you'll be able to get the card working (though
you might want to double check on the alsa web site).

As for the soudcard vs. alsa problem, I would try to run alsaconf as root and
see what you get.  On my machine its found at /usr/sbin/alsaconf
If this doesn't solve your problem feel free to send along any error or info
messages you get and I'll do my best to help out.
I think you'll find that having an internet connection for your production
machine will make maintenance and upkeep 100 times easier.

As for what version of Fedora to go with...  We've been running 3 for over a
year at CKDU and I've been very happy with it.  I also use 3 in a home studio
where we do lots of multi-tracking with Ardour and it has been great (My
computer specs are slightly less than yours).  I'm just starting to look at
Fedora core 5 so I can't really comment on it.  Whatever version you
choose you
should be able to get things working.  Going with 5 means more time before
you'll be updating but you may run in to more bugs and the like... its hard to
say.

Let me know how it goes,
Stephen