[PlanetCCRMA] FC5 jamin & ta

R Parker rtp405@yahoo.com
Tue Jun 20 06:07:01 2006

Hi Mark,

Don't take my bable to seriously. I don't.

--- Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Ron,
>    Just my 2 cents...
>
>    As a plugin it can be placed within an Ardour
> session, automated in
> a standard way instead of a Jamin specific way, and
> all of it's
> settings maintained with the CD audio in one place
> instead of many.

Each of us has their interests and those aren't
particularly important to me; inserting into
Ardour--zero advantage, storing configuration info in
Ardour session--zero advantage.

Automation:
*this is a can of worms that will produce some real
stupid masters. lol

If automation on the level of what we do during mix
time is required then I'd suspect there's something
wrong with the mixes, or you are mixing feature length
films that traverse a wide score of audio dynamics. Or
somethin!

>    If you were to place all CD audio in a single
> session, place Jamin
> within that session, and then do all work required
> to create the audio
> you want for the session, then it's all in one
> place, hooked up and
> ready to go. As an external app it remains just that
> - external.

huh? When did external apps become "just that".

 It
> requires that when you want to rework something you
> must hook it up
> again which takes time and is more error prone.

It does take time and there is a certain sense of slop
about it all if your a control freak and if your not
you shouldn't be doing audio production anyway.
Reguardless:

> Granted, some sort of
> LASH environment could help, but what's the point of
> making it any
> more difficult that it needs to be?

I don't see LASH making anything more complicated. I
think LASH, in theory because I haven't used it, kicks
ass. We're dealing with a sophisticated production
environment. The issues that seem to concern you and
make sense to me are handled by LASH and its
usefullness extends way the hell beyound a JAMin
plugin.

I think there are many and much more interesting
opportunities beyound JAMin as a plugin. And if we
want to expose ProFools as the extortion that it
really is we'll need to focus on the big picture. Just
kidding, sorta.

>    As for the CPU requirement, unless Jamin as a
> plugin uses more CPU
> than Jamin as a stand-alone app, and maybe it does
> since folks are
> arguing so vociferously against this,

I wouldn't know. And the arguments I concur with are
against the proposal of a plugin for the purpose of
mix time DSP which pointedly stated remains stupid
because of DSP waste. The parts exist and are more
efficient. Learn to use them--I don't know, maybe
that's just my hard assed attitude.

JAMin as a plugin seems like a waste of time to me.
LASH manages the session level challanges, jackd kicks
ass and this new jack over network stuff is out of
hand; control rooms A,B, route alsa_pcm:A local room,
alsa_pcm:B remote room; review master in distinct
rooms.

Ron

 it seems to me