[PlanetCCRMA] Shutdown Problems

Sat Jun 17 15:49:00 2006

On Sat, 2006-06-17 at 22:11 +0200, nigel henry wrote:
> On Saturday 17 June 2006 21:16, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> > On Sat, 2006-06-17 at 17:59 +0200, Nigel Henry wrote:
> > > I'm using Apt again now on FC5 for the updates,
> >
> > Which apt are you using? Is it back in extras? (at the very beginning of
> > starting fc5 support I tried to get apt running but could not). I also
> > seem to remember having read somewhere that it now correctly support
> > x86_64 architectures, do you know if that's a fact for the one you are
> > using?
>
> Apt in Extra's is version apt-0.5.15lorg3.1-5.fc5 . Synaptic wasn't available
> in Extra's at the time I DL'd Apt, and I got it from freshrpms, but I see
> it's now available in Extra's.
>
> This Apt version is a lot slower to load than the cnc version you were using.
> Your Apt cnc versions on FC1,2,3,and 4, usually took about 5 or 6 mins to
> update the package lists if there were available updates (on dialup). With
> core, updates, and extras repo's available on the FC5 version. If there are
> waiting updates, updating the package lists can take up to 30 mins (on dialup
> again.

Yuck!
Hmmm, I think the newer versions that were coming up (of apt - I think I
read about an experimental release but that was a while back) would
start using the same metadata that yum uses. Maybe that's why the newer
version is slower. I should check it out... it may be possible to just
point to the same place as yum.

> I don't know about x86_64 as I'm still using  a 32 bit system. It may be worth
> mailing Panu about that.

I just checked in fc5 extras for x86_64 and it is apparently there so I
presume it is working for 64 bit fc5.

-- Fernando