[PlanetCCRMA] Re: installing nVidia gefore fx 5200 driver

Jan Depner eviltwin69@cableone.net
Thu Jun 8 15:54:01 2006

On Thu, 2006-06-08 at 18:48 -0400, Matt Barber wrote:

>         Has anyone installed the nVidia drivers on fedora 4 ?
>         If so then could you post any relevant information ...
>

> Hello,
>
> I haven't done it on FC4, but on FC5, the only way (and probably the
> best way) I could get it to work was to rebuild the livna SRPM.  I
> don't see why you couldn't do this in FC4 (unless there's a big
> problem somewhere), and then at least you'd have an RPM.  I'm not
> sure, but I think this might allow you to have nvidia drivers
> installed for multiple kernels (which was tough with the nvidia
> installation app).
>

> I must say I'm very unhappy with FC5 and selinux... It screws up a lot
> of things that used to "just work," including the nvidia drivers.  I
> installed realplayer the other day and selinux would not allow it to
> access even the xorg video drivers.  There are workarounds if you want
> to learn how to modify selinux, but it seems like if fedora is
> marketing their product primarily to Josie Choochoo Desktopuser, there
> shouldn't be problems introduced like this that would be complicated
> to solve out of the box.

    Have you tried adding selinux=0 to the kernel line
in /boot/grub/grub.conf?  Like this:

kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.14-0.10.rrt.rhfc4.ccrma ro root=LABEL=/ selinux=0

--
Jan 'Evil Twin' Depner
The Fuzzy Dice

"As we enjoy great advantages from the invention of others, we should be
glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and
this we should do freely and generously."

Benjamin Franklin, on declining patents offered by the governor of
Pennsylvania for his "Pennsylvania Fireplace", c. 1744