[PlanetCCRMA] Dual Processor vs Dual Core

Bob Wilkinson wilkinson.bob@comcast.net
Thu Jul 27 06:11:03 2006

Now that things have been working well with the two Delta1010s, I am starting to shop for updates to the motherboard and processor (currently running socket 754 Sempron).

In this consideration, I'm looking at either a dual core socket 939 (or AM2) Athlon 64x2, dual core socket 939 Opteron, or two single core socket 940 Opterons (obviously significantly more expensive).

So come the questions - will the differences in performance (L2 cache, etc)  between the Athlon x2 and the Opteron be significant enough to warrant moving toward the Opteron design?  Will the differences in signal path of the twin single cores (with separate memory for each) be significant enough to warrant the rather high cost of going from a single socket motherboard to a dual socket motherboard?

Which of these configurations is going to give me the most significantly stable (as far as xruns) audio path for the cost?  Again, I can obviously (for the same amount of cash) go with a higher operating frequency on an Athlon 64x2 than a dual core 939 Opteron - and I can get away with a significantly lower cost by going with a dual core than two single cores.

The total plan is to have 24 channels of input (three Delta1010s) simultaneously, but I have noticed that laying the tracks doesn't seem to be the problem - it is mixing and adding effects afterward that seems to tax the system the most.

Thanks all!
Bob