[PlanetCCRMA] Re: (newbie) questions on the FC5 CCRMA and package management

Axel Thimm planetccrma@ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Wed Jul 19 18:32:03 2006

--nO3oAMapP4dBpMZi

On Wed, Jul 19, 2006 at 08:57:24PM +0200, Nigel Henry wrote:
> > My conclusion is that audioapps and adiovideoapps are still managed
> > under apt. Correct? (want to know before I try and mess up something...)
>=20
> No. You need to use Yum now, or Yumex, Yums GUI (which is crap compared t=
o=20
> synaptic) if you are looking for specific apps from planetccrma.

Or you can still use apt/synaptic even with planteccrma FC5. Surprise,
surprise! (see below)

> > Is the package manager bound to change in the future to be only yum?
>=20
> That I don't know. I certainly hope not as Apt, along with Synaptic were =
so=20
> much better.
>=20
> btw. You can DL Apt from Fedora Extras using Yum. Then DL Synaptic using=
=20
> either Yum, or Apt. I am using Apt for all the Fedora updates, etc, and j=
ust=20
> using Yum for the planetccrma stuff, as I've no choice there.

You have more than one choice. Use smart and/or apt. Both can process
either apt metadata or yum (repomd) metadata. The apt from Fedora
Extras already comes with repomd examples which you can adjust for
PlanetCCRMA (or read the man page). The bottom line is that you can
still use synaptic or smart --gui on *any* PlanetCCRMA repository
including FC5.

> > Second question: Which other package collections go together with
> > planetccrma? I would assume atrpms, since they mirror
> > planetccrma. Are there any "recommended" and "stay away from"
> > lists?
>=20
> Personally I'd stay away from atrpms. In fact I'd stay away from all othe=
r=20
> repos, and keep them commented out, or "enabled=3D0" in the case of Yum, =
when=20
> doing either an apt-get update, apt-get dist-upgrade, or Yum update.

Well, personally I can only cordially recommend ATrpms. :)

But personal preferences aside: Note that any half-enabled repo is
doomed to break. Don't recommend to people to selectively/partially
enable repos on demand as some dependencies will break. It is better
to never use a repo than to create bugs by wrong usage.

> If you need specific packages, for example, unrar, lame,
> etc. Uncomment the repo in /etc/apt/sources.list, or in the case of
> Yum, set enabled=3D1. Get the package, then disable those repos. I
> don't care what anybody says, but there can be big problems when
> upgrading the system from multiple repos.

Would you diagnose the bugs that selective/partial enabling of repos
bring in and guide users with broken setups? If so, then please add it
to the above statement. Otherwise please keep recommendations to
either fully use or not use a repo at all, because no repo maintainer
is supporting this.

Sorry for being so harsh, but I'm getting swamped with spurious bug
reports where after exchanging 10 mails the error seems to be
following a recommendation of allowing only say myth* packages from
ATrpms w/o considering that mythtv has more than 2 dozens of
(in)direct depednencies on packages not starting with myth*, the most
prominent example being libmyth ...
--=20
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net

--nO3oAMapP4dBpMZi