[PlanetCCRMA] yummy fix to installing planetccrma-core-* packages on fc5

J. Joseph Benavidez j.joseph benavidez" <hasuf@pobox.com
Wed Jul 19 16:16:01 2006

Hi Fernando,

This looks pretty cool. I've got some questions though. (see below)

On Wednesday 19 July 2006 2:58 pm, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> Hi all. I have just released an updated version of yum that adds a new
> option to its configuration file. This enables yum to install older
> kernels than the latest already installed, and fixes the problem Planet
> CCRMA users were having when installing Planet CCRMA kernels _after_
> updating to the latest Fedora kernel.
>
> If you have already installed Planet CCRMA doing "yum install yum"
> should get the newest version.
>
> After installing it add the following line to /etc/yum.conf
>
> ----
> oldpackage=1
> ----

Can this be set per-repo, or only global?

Not so much a question, but a thought... could the patch be modified so that
oldpackage takes glob arguments like the exclude variable? The exclude
variable can be set globally and/or per-repo, plus you can specify specific
packages. In this case, I suppose you would list all the packages for which
you would want an older version.

eg

[planetccrma]
..
..
oldpackage=kernel*

Would install the older kernel from planet ccrma, but possibly get newer
versions of packages that in the extras repo.

(Not having seen the yum internals, I don't know how feasible this change is.)

j.joseph

p.s. Just want to also add my thanks for providing this great repository!