[PlanetCCRMA] (newbie) questions on the FC5 CCRMA and package management

Nigel Henry cave.dnb@tiscali.fr
Wed Jul 19 11:58:02 2006

On Wednesday 19 July 2006 18:11, Erik Steinholtz wrote:
> Hello -
>

> First of all, thanks for a great platform!
>

> I wanted to upgrade my FC3 CCRMA to FC5. installed FC and ccrma-core.
>

> Then, for installing the apps, the instructions are somewhat confusing
> (or is it just me being confused?)
>

> 1)       there is a note saying that the planetccrma-* app packages are
> not yet available
>
> 2)       there are links to the packages
>

> 1)       there are no instructions on how to configure or install apt
> (as there used to be for the previous versions). My conclusion was....It
> is all yum these days (which I found out was wrong pretty quickly..)

Fernando has moved to using Yum for planetccrma packages with FC5, and there
are instructions for installing Yum there.

> 2)       the example commands for installing are still for apt

That is an error, and I believe that Fernando is going to fix that.

> My conclusion is that audioapps and adiovideoapps are still managed
> under apt. Correct? (want to know before I try and mess up something...)

No. You need to use Yum now, or Yumex, Yums GUI (which is crap compared to
synaptic) if you are looking for specific apps from planetccrma.

> Is the package manager bound to change in the future to be only yum?

That I don't know. I certainly hope not as Apt, along with Synaptic were so
much better.

btw. You can DL Apt from Fedora Extras using Yum. Then DL Synaptic using
either Yum, or Apt. I am using Apt for all the Fedora updates, etc, and just
using Yum for the planetccrma stuff, as I've no choice there.

> Second question: Which other package collections go together with
> planetccrma? I would assume atrpms, since they mirror planetccrma. Are
> there any "recommended" and "stay away from" lists?

Personally I'd stay away from atrpms. In fact I'd stay away from all other
repos, and keep them commented out, or "enabled=0" in the case of Yum, when
doing either an apt-get update, apt-get dist-upgrade, or Yum update.

If you need specific packages, for example, unrar, lame, etc. Uncomment the
repo in /etc/apt/sources.list, or in the case of Yum, set enabled=1. Get the
package, then disable those repos. I don't care what anybody says, but there
can be big problems when upgrading the system from multiple repos.

> Third, general, very-much-newbie question is:
>

> a) How do apt and yum work together? Isn't there a way that they could
> mess up with each other?

No. they are both using rpm to install packages

> b) if I add an rpm outside of yum and apt, are they incorporated
> "automagically" into the local yum

If you manually DL an rpm, then install it, when you next run synaptic, or
yumex, you will see it on the installed packages list. of course you will
never see any updates for it, unless your rpm turns up on Fedora extras, for
instance, then if there is an update, it will be updated.

>  and apt repo management, or are they forever out in the cold?

I hope not. I use Apt on FC1,2,3, and 4. I also use it on Debian

> Thanks for anyone with the patience to answer,

When you use Yum for the planetccrma packages, take note of what Fernando says
about disabling the "installonlyn" plugin. If you don't do this. and have 2
kernels installed, the next kernel installed will remove the oldest. Perhaps
it was 3 kernels installed. either way it takes away your choices of what you
want to keep, or dispose of. Also, in /etc/yum.conf, there is an entry named
"keep cache" or something like that. As default it is "enabled=0", which
means, particularly if you are on dialup like me, that all the DL'd rpms will
be trashed, after installing, and closing Yum. It's sometimes usefull to hold
onto the cache, as long as it don't get to big, in case you want to
uninstall, then reinstall a package. You don't have to DL it again, as it's
already there waiting.

> Erik Steinholtz

All the best. Nigel.

> PS I also found a typo on the main page
> (http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/) , saying that
> planetccrma is supported for FC versions 1,2,4 and 5, even though 3 is
> among the installation instructions.

He is supporting RH9, FC1,2,3,4, and 5, and trying to deal with the X86_64
stuff. I think we can allow him the odd typo.