[PlanetCCRMA] sound in fc5 not responding

Mon Jul 10 16:06:56 2006

On Mon, 2006-07-10 at 15:59 -0500, tom poe wrote:
> I installed fc5.  Managed to fiddle with volume control and whatever
> default sound is provided in the distribution.  Then, installed
> alsaplayer, qjackctl, and I think there was alsa installed along the
> way.  I rebooted, and sound disappeared.  I checked volume control
> settings, but that didn't help.  I then did what I used to do with fc4,
> and, as root brought up /etc/modprobe.conf and eliminated the extra
> spaces (this worked for fc4), saved the file, and tried alsaplayer
> again.  No luck.
>
> I guess I need some fundamental starting point for setting up sound on
> fc5.  Can anyone point me to the basics?

Hmmm, it should not be different from fc4, I think.

See first if alsa is running and if the soundcard you think you are
using is listed there:

  cat /proc/asound/cards

If all seems well in that front I would check that the mixer has the
levels up and is unmuted for the channels you are using. You could use
alsamixer from a terminal, or use a gui mixer like, for example, gamix
(or right click on the speaker in the panel and open the sound control
mixer which comes with fc5)

-- Fernando