[PlanetCCRMA] sound in fc5 not responding

tom poe tompoe@fngi.net
Mon Jul 10 14:09:52 2006

I installed fc5.  Managed to fiddle with volume control and whatever
default sound is provided in the distribution.  Then, installed
alsaplayer, qjackctl, and I think there was alsa installed along the
way.  I rebooted, and sound disappeared.  I checked volume control
settings, but that didn't help.  I then did what I used to do with fc4,
and, as root brought up /etc/modprobe.conf and eliminated the extra
spaces (this worked for fc4), saved the file, and tried alsaplayer
again.  No luck.

I guess I need some fundamental starting point for setting up sound on
fc5.  Can anyone point me to the basics?