[PlanetCCRMA] Quick kernel help please

Sun Jul 9 10:50:22 2006

On Sun, 2006-07-09 at 19:07 +1000, Daniel Burchmore wrote:
> Hello list members,
>
> I am just getting started with Planet CCRMA and fedora core 5 and am
> following the instructions for such an installation. One small
> stumbler has got me. From the instructions..
>
> ' You will also need to tell yum to allow installs of older versions
> of packages (sometimes a Planet CCRMA kernel will be older than the
> latest kernel available from Fedora but you may still want it because
> of its better low latency performance). You can change that in
> the /etc/yum.conf file, I think commenting out the ``pkgpolicy'' line
> will do the trick.'
>
> After doing that config edit, it seems the system still won't allow
> the new kernel to be installed.
>
> I issue
>
> yum install planetccrma-core-edge-smp
>
> The packages are retrieved...and then I get the message
>
> Transaction Check Error:   package kernel-smp-2.6.17-1.2145_FC5 (which
> is newer than kernel-smp-2.6.16-1.2080.13.rrt.rhfc5.ccrma) is already
> installed
>
> Any pointers please anyone?

I don't know why this is happening, I can't reproduce it in my machine
and I have not got the time to try an install from scratch right now.

I suspect something gets stuck in the metadata for some reason. There
are some options in yum for deleting state, maybe you could try them and
report back?

See "man yum" and the clean options. I don't which one may be of help
(if any). Depending on what you clean yum will download stuff from the
servers, could take a while if you are on a low link...

-- Fernando