[PlanetCCRMA] No sound

Nigel Henry cave.dnb@tiscali.fr
Tue Jan 24 09:12:01 2006

On Tuesday 24 January 2006 07:26, Thomas Ahlstrom wrote:
> Thanks for fast answer. I'm quite new to Linux and need more detais.
> What to actually do with the paths and files you're refferring to.
> /proc/asound/card0/wavetableD1 does not exist.
>
> Thanks again
> /Thomas
Hi Thomas. Could you post your replies at the bottom, as it makes it easier to
follow the thread if anyone else wants to come in on this.
Continued at bottom.

> >From: Nigel Henry <cave.dnb@tiscali.fr>
> >To: planetccrma@ccrma.stanford.edu
> >CC: "Thomas Ahlstrom" <thomas_ahlstroem@hotmail.com>
> >Subject: Re: [PlanetCCRMA] No sound
> >Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 18:58:10 +0100
> >
> >On Monday 23 January 2006 18:10, Thomas Ahlstrom wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > > Running Fedora 2 on a Dell machine with a SB card with
> >
> >emu10k1x-soundchip.
> >
> > > I have sound OK when running Fluidsynth and Rosegarden.
> > > But when starting Jack, qsynth, qjackctl and Rosegarden -- no sound !
> > > Everything is running OK, qsynth receives midi signal -- but no sound!
> > >

> > > What am I missing?
> > >
> > > Thomas
> >
> >Can you check with: cat /proc/asound/card0/wavetableD1 that you have a
> >soundfont loaded onto the soundcard. Exchange card0 to whatever your
> >soundcard is in, cat /proc/asound/cards. Nigel.

Ok. lets have a look at this. Just looking in /proc as user will produce
nothing, and if files exist they will appear to be empty. Open a Konsole
(CLI), and type.
cat /proc/asound/cards  . This will identify your soundcard, and show what
position it is at. If you only have one soundcard, and no USB stuff (usb midi
keyboards for instance) you should see the card listed as card 0. Next. Check
whether you have the package "awesfx" (without the double quotes) installed.
You can check this, again from the CLI, with.
rpm -q awesfx.  If you havn't got it, get it with. apt-get install awesfx ,
after running apt-get update, otherwise use synaptic. This package is needed
to load the soundfont onto the card.

So far so good. Again With the CLI (Konsole) type.
/sbin/lsmod  which will show you which modules you have loaded. You can send
this to me by highlighting it with the left mouse button, and using the third
mouse button paste it to the email client. You should see a module named.
snd-emu10k1x-synth , which is needed for using the wavetable on the soundcard.
If it's not loaded, su to root on the CLI, and type.
/sbin/modprobe snd-emu10k1x-synth  , which if it loads ok, should return you
to the prompt.

Now we need a soundfont. Did you get a CDROM for the soundcard with the DELL
machine?  You presumably have a soundfont loaded for using fluidsynth, which
you say works. Did you load a soundfont onto Qsynth when you tried it? Back
to the CDROM, if you have one. The soundfonts for my Audigy2 are in a
directory named "Audio" on my CDROM. If you have a soundfont, copy it from
the CDROM to your /home/user-name directory. The soundfont I'm using is
named. CT4MGM.SF2. Presuming that you've got this far, we now need to load
the soundfont onto the card. Again on the CLI. Type.
sfxload <then the name of your soundfont>  . In my case.
sfxload CT4MGM.SF2.

Don't give up, if you've got this far and the soundfont don't load. The
package awesfx which is used to load soundfonts, has 2 different loaders. One
is asfxload , which is the Alsa version. The other is sfxload , which is the
OSS version. Fedora only seems to have the OSS one "sfxload" available. For
this to work, you need to check that you have the package "alsa-oss"
installed. Check with synaptic. If you followed the instructions for all the
planetccrma stuff, this should be installed.

Ok. I'm presuming this has gone OK. Now again on the CLI. Type.
cat /proc/asound/card0/wavetableD1  if your card is card 0, otherwise change
it for 1, for instance. The output from this, that you can post to me, and
the list, should show 1 soundfont loaded onto the soundcard, and you should
be able to play .mid files with Kmid for instance.

My wrists are aching now. Come back to me, and please post your reply below
mine, for the sake of others watching. All the best. Nigel.