[PlanetCCRMA] Re: No Midi

David Slimp rock808@gmail.com
Sat Jan 21 22:07:01 2006

Thanks Fernando !

I was able to do quite a bit more testing on my own and thought
I'd post my findings here.

Actually, I've not solved all my problems yet, but I think I've done
enough that we can rule out some things.

First, I removed my usb webcam, and Brooktree capture cards to
take them out of the loop  (less audio devices the better - while testing)

Next, I plugged in my usb M-Audio Uno 1x1 device to my Yamaha
keyboard so I would have another midi device available (besides
the built in soundcard?)

I then uncommented out the lines in /etc/modules.conf which were
put there by the alsaconf tool, and I had commented out earlier, so
my /etc/modules.conf now looks like this:
=============
alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
alias char-major-81 bttv
alias usb-controller ehci-hcd
alias usb-controller1 uhci-hcd
alias ieee1394-controller ohci1394

# --- BEGIN: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
# --- ALSACONF verion 1.0.9rc1 ---
alias char-major-116 snd
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
options snd-intel8x0 index=0
install snd-intel8x0 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-intel8x0 &&
      /usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
remove snd-intel8x0 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ;
};          /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-intel8x0
alias sound-slot-0 snd-intel8x0
# --- END: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---

alias snd-card-1 snd-usb-audio
options snd-usb-audio index=1
========================

I could not get the usb 1x1 device to work until I found and installed
the ezusbmidi RPM for RH9 (even though I am using FC3):
       rpm -Uvh
http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/mirror/redhat/linux/planetccrma/9/en/os/noarch/ezusbmidi-2002_11_17-1.noarch.rpm

... Perhaps this should be in the PlanetCCRMA documents somewhere?
http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/usbmidi.html
Talks about it some, but it was not obvious to be that the RH9 package
would work for me on FC3, and I did not need the hotplug RPM at all.
-- For any PlanetCCRMA doc people out there.. at least a mention that
the RH9 packages is for FC3 as well. Would have saved me 2 hours :)
And maybe a link to that page from the quick install pages for those
with these devices.

I also rebooted to the .ll kernel rather than the .rdt kernel, just to
be as safe as possible.

After killing the artsd process I was in business. -- kinda

timidity works with the -Os option.

seq24 works, but I have to set output bus to "Midisport 1x1", even
though I have an option for "[0] 62:0 (Midi Through Port-0)" I don't
hear any output on this.  If THAT is indeed the internal sound card
then this is one thing I DO want to see working!!

hydrogen was not working at first, but I found the problem to be was that
the alsa device was automatically set to "hw:0" and I needed to change
it to just "hw" as was reported "somewhere", but I can't seem to find out
where I saw it as I write this email.

muse just bombs and says it can't find the Jack audio server.
How should this be configured for auto setup/install?
>From the command line, I run:
       jackstart -d alsa &
and try muse again, which gives the error "failed to initialize the Alsa
midi subsystem" and command line messages:
   $ muse
   mjsucaps: capsetp: Operation not permitted
   /usr/bin/konqueror
   ALSA lib seq.c:928:(snd_seq_open_noupdate) Unknown SEQ hw
   Could not open ALSA sequencer: No such file or directory

rosegarden also hangs for a REALLY long time after this:
      ALSA lib seq.c:928:(snd_seq_open_noupdate) Unknown SEQ default
      *** glibc detected *** double free or corruption (!prev): 0x080cce00 ***
      Profiler : id = querying plugins - elapsed = 990ms CPU,  1.571667000R real

And then the popup window "The Rosegarden sequencer could not be
started, so sound and recording will be unavailable for this session".
 It seems to struggle
getting started and soon crashes.

I guess my biggest interest are to see rosegarden working,
and to be able to use the internal soundcard as a midi device.

Now that we see alsa IS working (somewhat) then I think we can
move more in that direction.

Thanks!
David

--
David Slimp
rock808@gmail.com

"On proprietary platforms, eventually you'll run into 'you can't do that.'
 On open platforms, you'll run into 'you have to learn more to do that.' "
  -- Ian Smith-Heisters