[PlanetCCRMA] Re: No Midi

Sat Jan 21 11:57:04 2006

On Fri, 2006-01-20 at 22:04 -0600, David Slimp wrote:
>  I've been enjoying CCRMA for a couple years now, but recently
>  wiped my system of Fedora 1 and installed Fedora 3.
>
>  Now, I'm having problems getting MIDI to work, although PCM seems
>  to be working fine.
>
>  I've looked over some of the past posts and think I've ruled out the
>  common problems, although I'm obviously missing something.
>
>  When I start 'rosegarden' I get:
>        Error while initializing the sound driver:
>         device: default can't be opened for playback (Device or resource busy)
>
>  in a GUI window, and on the command line:
>       JackDriver::initialiseAudio - initialised JACK audio subsystem
>       ALSA lib seq.c:928:(snd_seq_open_noupdate) Unknown SEQ default
>       *** glibc detected *** double free or corruption (!prev): 0x080cce00 ***
>       Launched ok, pid = 5872
>

>  When I run 'muse' I get:
>
>  ALSA lib seq.c:928:(snd_seq_open_noupdate) Unknown SEQ hw
>  Could not open ALSA sequencer: No such file or directory

Probably the sequencer module is not being autolodaded, that happens in
fc3. One solution is to activate the alsasound startup script:

  /sbin/chkconfig alsasound on

And reboot or start it manually:
  /etc/rc.d/init.d/alsasound start

That should load the sequencer module. You can check by doing:
  /sbin/lsmod|grep ^snd
that should list all alsa modules (they all start with snd-), you should
see some with "seq" in them.

You can also look at the devices with:
  cat /proc/asound/cards
  cat /proc/asound/devices

>  kmid seems to start up fine (no errors)... and SEEMS to run, but
>  I don't hear any sound.  I'll admit I don't use kmid, and so not sure
>  it's behaving properly besides that.
>
>  I do not have any external MIDI devices hooked up right now....
>  I'm trying to just get it to my sound card ( snd-intel8x0 ) which is
>  built in to the motherboard.
>
>  I do have a Brooktree audio/video capture card and usb audio
>  device attached too, so have these entries in my /etc/modules.conf:
>  =========================
>  # --- BEGIN: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
>  # --- ALSACONF verion 1.0.9rc1 ---
>  #alias char-major-116 snd
>  #alias char-major-14 soundcore
>  #alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
>  #alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
>  #alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
>  #alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
>  #alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
>  alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
>  options snd-intel8x0 index=0
>  install snd-intel8x0 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-intel8x0 && \
>          /usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
>  remove snd-intel8x0 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; }; \
>          /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-intel8x0
>  alias sound-slot-0 snd-intel8x0
>  # --- END: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
>

>  alias snd-card-1 pwc
>  options snd-card-1 index=1
>  install pwc /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install pwc && /usr/sbin/alsactl
>  restore >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
>  remove pwc { /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; };
>  /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove pwc

What is pwc? It is not an alsa kernel module (they all start with
snd-)...

>  alias snd-card-2 snd-usb-audio
>  options snd-usb-audio index=2
>  =============================
>
>  The commented out lines had not been commented, but after looking
>  at my old conf file (Fedora 1) I didn't see those particular lines, so I've
>  been doing some testing.

You don't need the aliases, they are included in fc3/2.6.x
automatically.

>  I also noticed I don't have a /dev/sequencer, although not
>  sure that's necessary.

That would only be necessary for oss emulated midi programs.

>  I'm not sure how to tell if the alsa drivers are loaded. Nothing with
>  "alsa" seems to be listed in the output of  ps afx  or  lsmod.
>
> Also, after reading a couple more posts, I thought this might be helpful:
>
> /etc/init.d/alsasound stop
> /etc/init.d/alsasound start
> tail -30 /var/log/messages:
> =====
> Jan 20 21:50:50 alleria alsasound: Starting sound driver snd-usb-audio succeeded
> Jan 20 21:50:50 alleria alsasound: Starting sequencer succeeded
> Jan 20 21:50:50 alleria alsactl: /usr/sbin/alsactl: load_state:1272:
> No soundcards found...
> Jan 20 21:50:50 alleria alsasound: Restoring sound driver settings failed
> =====

That should have started the sequencer modules...
The "no soundcards found" thing only refers to the stored mixer state
of /etc/asound.state, if you have configured your mixer you can store it
explicitly with "/usr/sbin/alsactl store".

> $ hdspmixer
> HDSPMixer 1.6 - Copyright (C) 2003 Thomas Charbonnel <thomas@undata.org>
> This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
> HDSPMixer is free software, see the file COPYING for details
>
> Looking for HDSP cards :
> Card 0 : Intel 82801DB-ICH4 with AD1981A at 0xec800000, irq 17
> Card 2 : USB Device 0x46d:0x8b3 at usb-0000:00:1d.1-1, full speed
> No Hammerfall DSP card found.

That would only work if you had an RME card. Try "gamix" for a generic
mixer with a gui.

-- Fernando