[PlanetCCRMA] Re: No Midi

David Slimp rock808@gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 20:05:02 2006

 Hello !

 I've been enjoying CCRMA for a couple years now, but recently
 wiped my system of Fedora 1 and installed Fedora 3.

 Now, I'm having problems getting MIDI to work, although PCM seems
 to be working fine.

 I've looked over some of the past posts and think I've ruled out the
 common problems, although I'm obviously missing something.

 When I start 'rosegarden' I get:
       Error while initializing the sound driver:
        device: default can't be opened for playback (Device or resource busy)

 in a GUI window, and on the command line:
      JackDriver::initialiseAudio - initialised JACK audio subsystem
      ALSA lib seq.c:928:(snd_seq_open_noupdate) Unknown SEQ default
      *** glibc detected *** double free or corruption (!prev): 0x080cce00 ***
      Launched ok, pid = 5872

 When I run 'muse' I get:

 ALSA lib seq.c:928:(snd_seq_open_noupdate) Unknown SEQ hw
 Could not open ALSA sequencer: No such file or directory

 kmid seems to start up fine (no errors)... and SEEMS to run, but
 I don't hear any sound.  I'll admit I don't use kmid, and so not sure
 it's behaving properly besides that.

 I do not have any external MIDI devices hooked up right now....
 I'm trying to just get it to my sound card ( snd-intel8x0 ) which is
 built in to the motherboard.

 I do have a Brooktree audio/video capture card and usb audio
 device attached too, so have these entries in my /etc/modules.conf:
 =========================
 # --- BEGIN: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
 # --- ALSACONF verion 1.0.9rc1 ---
 #alias char-major-116 snd
 #alias char-major-14 soundcore
 #alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
 #alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
 #alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
 #alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
 #alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
 alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
 options snd-intel8x0 index=0
 install snd-intel8x0 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-intel8x0 && \
         /usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
 remove snd-intel8x0 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; }; \
         /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-intel8x0
 alias sound-slot-0 snd-intel8x0
 # --- END: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---

 alias snd-card-1 pwc
 options snd-card-1 index=1
 install pwc /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install pwc && /usr/sbin/alsactl
 restore >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
 remove pwc { /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; };
 /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove pwc

 alias snd-card-2 snd-usb-audio
 options snd-usb-audio index=2
 =============================

 The commented out lines had not been commented, but after looking
 at my old conf file (Fedora 1) I didn't see those particular lines, so I've
 been doing some testing.

 I also noticed I don't have a /dev/sequencer, although not
 sure that's necessary.

 I'm not sure how to tell if the alsa drivers are loaded. Nothing with
 "alsa" seems to be listed in the output of  ps afx  or  lsmod.

Also, after reading a couple more posts, I thought this might be helpful:

/etc/init.d/alsasound stop
/etc/init.d/alsasound start
tail -30 /var/log/messages:
=====
Jan 20 21:50:50 alleria alsasound: Starting sound driver snd-usb-audio succeeded
Jan 20 21:50:50 alleria alsasound: Starting sequencer succeeded
Jan 20 21:50:50 alleria alsactl: /usr/sbin/alsactl: load_state:1272:
No soundcards found...
Jan 20 21:50:50 alleria alsasound: Restoring sound driver settings failed
=====

$ hdspmixer
HDSPMixer 1.6 - Copyright (C) 2003 Thomas Charbonnel <thomas@undata.org>
This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
HDSPMixer is free software, see the file COPYING for details

Looking for HDSP cards :
Card 0 : Intel 82801DB-ICH4 with AD1981A at 0xec800000, irq 17
Card 2 : USB Device 0x46d:0x8b3 at usb-0000:00:1d.1-1, full speed
No Hammerfall DSP card found.

 Any help would be great !
 Thanks,
 David

 -----

 "On proprietary platforms, eventually you'll run into 'you can't do that.'
  On open platforms, you'll  run into 'you have to learn more to do that.' "
   -- Ian Smith-Heisters