[PlanetCCRMA] alsa for older Planet kernels

Nathaniel Virgo nathanielvirgo@gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 14:56:01 2006

------=_Part_59065_31975020.1137106552874

Hi,

I want to go back to using the old Planet kernel
2.6.12-0.21.rdt.rhfc4.ccrmabecause for some reason{*} my desktop tends
to be really sluggish on newer
ones (Planet or otherwise) (and I'm sure I had better performance from Jack
apps in the old days as well).  The problem is I can't get audio to work at
all on that kernel.  When trying to start alsa at boot time it claims that
alsa is already running, and programs are not able to open the sound
devices.  I'm guessing this is because the latest and greatest ALSA version=
are not compatible with the old kernel, so could someone reccommend a
version to try that does work?

{*} Newer kernels say "PCI: Failed to allocate mem resource #6:
20000@f0000000 for 0000:01:00.0" right at the beginning of the boot
process.  Could this have anything to do with it?  It's pretty meaningless
to me but I'm guessing it means they don't agree with my hardware very well=
.

thanks in advance for any help

Nathaniel

------=_Part_59065_31975020.1137106552874

Hi,<br><br>I want to go back to using the old Planet kernel 2.6.12-0.21.rdt=
.rhfc4.ccrma because for some reason{*} my desktop tends to be really slugg=
ish on newer ones (Planet or otherwise) (and I'm sure I had better performa=
nce from Jack apps in the old days as well).&nbsp; The problem is I can't g=
et audio to work at all on that kernel.&nbsp; When trying to start alsa at =
boot time it claims that alsa is already running, and programs are not able=
 to open the sound devices.&nbsp; I'm guessing this is because the latest a=
nd greatest ALSA versions are not compatible with the old kernel, so could =
someone reccommend a version to try that does work?
:20000@f0000000 for 0000:01:00.0&quot; right at the beginning of the boot p=
rocess.&nbsp; Could this have anything to do with it?&nbsp; It's pretty mea=