[PlanetCCRMA] how can I list available packages?

Nigel Henry cave.dnb@tiscali.fr
Wed Jan 11 09:23:00 2006

On Wednesday 11 January 2006 17:37, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-01-11 at 16:44 +0100, Nigel Henry wrote:
> > On Wednesday 11 January 2006 15:52, Roman Katzer wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > how can I list pacgakes available through apt?
> > > There doesn't seem to be a command comparable to "yum list".
> > >
> > > I was looking for the correct package name for X11 developer libraries
> > > to use with apt-get. Turns out it's xorg-x11-devel, but how do I find
> > > something like that _quickly_?
> > >
> > > Roman
> >
> > Hi Roman. Synaptic the GUI for apt-get should solve your problems.
> > apt-get install synaptic
> > If you want the alphabetical list to display on it, you will have to
> > change the "View" on it's main menu to "Flat List". Nigel.
>
> Or, from the command line use "apt-cache", see "man apt-cache" for
> details...
>
> -- Fernando

Hi Fernando. Roman mailed be back offlist, and I only realised this after
trawling through man pages, suggesting he look in man apt-cache, and pressing
the send button, but at least my info to him was ok. Where and how does
apt-get update store the package list info. Presumably it's not in a human
readable form, as I'd also rooted around in /var and found nothing resembling
a package list.

Nigel.