[PlanetCCRMA] Q: How to select files in GNOME?

D. R. Evans doc.evans@gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 17:56:01 2006

OK; I obviously have been brainwashed by Windows and KDE.

How on Earth is the GNOME file selection dialog supposed to work?

Trying to import a track into ardour, I bring up the file selection
dialog, but I can't actually select any files. If I double click on
the directories (to walk my way down the hierarchy from / to the file
I want to import) then nothing happens. If I manually enter the
absolute path of the file in the box that allows you to type stuff,
and then press <Enter>, nothing happens.

Exactly the same behaviour occurs when, for example, I launch
alsaplayer and try to play a file: i.e., I can't figure out how to
tell which file I want it to play.

The keyboard and mouse appear to be working fine (I'm writing this on
the same machine). I feel like a right idiot that I can't even select
a file.

  Doc