[PlanetCCRMA] moving PlanetCCRMA to Fedora Extras?

Florin Andrei planetccrma@ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Sun Feb 26 22:04:02 2006

On Sun, 2006-02-26 at 17:00 -0800, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:

> Even with a Fedora kernel you would not get access to realtime
> scheduling out of the box, you would have to enable that access by
> editing a file in /etc/security, Planet CCRMA includes a patched pam
> that has that enabled by default - I don't think you could/would have
> that available in a general purpose distro like extras. So, for using
> Jack I don't think Extras would be a "yum install whatever" solution, it
> will involve some tweaking.

I agree, either tweaking, or maintaining some packages (e.g. special
kernels) outside Extras. Or both. That's fine.
I would guess that the current bulk of the packages in the PlanetCCRMA
repo are compatible with Extras. The exceptions, indeed, will have to be
treated as a special case somehow.

> I was thinking on first trying with a ladspa package to get the feel of
> the whole extras process (it is not trivial), and then start with Jack -
> the obvious first package that enables the inclusion of most of the
> useful stuff...

Indeed, JACK is one of the first packages that should jump over the
fence. LADSPA too, is a great enabler.

I agree that Extras can be cumbersome at first for a package maintainer.

> I had also started work on a build server and environment here at CCRMA
> so that other PlanetCCRMA'lites could help me in the build process.
> Maybe you would be interested in helping? (in addition of course of the
> extras integration, both are not exclusive...)

I could do what I already said I would - grab a package or two and
maintain it/them for the foreseeable future.
But, if I can make a choice, I'd rather do that directly on Extras. Lack
of time and whatnot - but you know that song by heart, I'm afraid.

I'm glad that we are mostly in agreement. :-)

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/