[PlanetCCRMA] CCRMA kernel oops & RT SPINLOCK declare question

thewade pdman@aproximation.org
Sat Feb 25 16:33:02 2006

Quoting Fernando Lopez-Lezcano <nando@ccrma.Stanford.EDU>:

> On Sat, 2006-02-25 at 14:11 -0800, thewade wrote:
>> The SPINLOCK problem is with building ati-fglrx from livna.org
>
> Ahhh, I didn't realize this was the case or was not paying attention.
> Don't be surprised if you don't get any help from the linux kernel
> mailing list guys, or even if they flame you a bit.

I figured I would catch some heat for this particular problem, but it
seems to me that I can either have (basicaly) no hardware acceleration
for my graphics card or use a binary-only driver. If it was a desktop
machine I would just go buy another graphics card (I don't even know if
there are good linux drivers for any modern cards) but its a laptop so
I can't. I thought ATI was linux friendly  - that is why I chose it
when I bought this machine - but the only drivers I can find for my
card are these propritary drivers.

I was hoping that there was some one-to-one translation for the
spinlock declares, or the rt patches use some replacement spinlock
include file that needs to be added to the firegl.c (or whatever) file.

And of course I started having trouble with the CCRMA kernel recently
too. Today I booted up and was fooling around with PD and did a bad
(stack overflow in PD) and locked up the machine, and after that I
couldn't boot the CCRMA kernel - it would hang when it was trying to
start X (I think). I am typing this from the vanilla FC4 2.6.15 kernel.

Le sigh...

Thanks for the heads up! I'll get my fire extinguisher out. ;^)
-thewade