[PlanetCCRMA] Grub help

Nigel Henry cave.dnb@tiscali.fr
Sat Feb 25 10:53:01 2006

On Saturday 25 February 2006 16:57, Oded Ben-Tal wrote:
> So I managed to upgrade to FC3 the installation finished succesfully. But
> when I try to boot I get stuck at grub stage 2.
> I saw a post about possible problem with the partition tables, but that
> doesn't seem to be the problem (fdisk reports the same disk partitions as
> before I installed).
> Using knoppix I am able to access the HD and all seems to be fine.
>
> grub.conf seems to be ok:
> > less /boot/grub.conf
>
> # grub.conf generated by anaconda
> #
> # Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this
> file
> # NOTICE:  You do not have a /boot partition.  This means that
> #          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /, eg.
> #          root (hd0,3)
> #          kernel /boot/vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hda4
> #          initrd /boot/initrd-version.img
> #boot=/dev/hda
> default=1
> timeout=20
> splashimage=(hd0,3)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
> title Fedora Core (2.6.9-1.667smp)
>          root (hd0,3)
>          kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.667smp ro root=LABEL=/
>          initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.9-1.667smp.img
> title Fedora Core (2.6.9-1.667)
>          root (hd0,3)
>          kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.667 ro root=LABEL=/
>          initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.9-1.667.img
> title DOS
>          rootnoverify (hd0,0)
>          chainloader +1

> Oded Ben-Tal
> http://www-ccrma.stanford.edu/~oded
> oded@ccrma.stanford.edu

Hi Oded. You say on your original post after getting the FC3 upgrade done,
that when you boot up it gets to Grub stage2. How do you know that?  Do you
get the Grub prompt? Both FC3, and FC4 have hiddenmenu uncommented in
Grub.conf. I have seen folks confused by this. If this is the case, the up,
or down arrow should get the menu to show, after you see the Grub prompt.

Your kernel matches my FC3 kernel, but can't understand why the smp version is
showing as well, unless you had an smp kernel installed also on your RH9
install. Also. My Grub.conf shows the "hiddenmenu" entry below the
splashimage entry. Thats a bit strange as well.

I presume also that you have Windows installed on this machine. Please verify.

The problem with reconfiguring the harddrive geometry was mainly to do with
installing FC2 on some machines that also had Windows installed. This did not
affect all machines, and there was a workaround for this, and I believe
Fernando has this on the planetccrma webpages.

The problem with bootloaders, is that when the install goes ok, you don't have
to mess with them, whether that's Grub, or LiLo. It's only after doing
multiple installs, and getting used to how they work and are configured, that
you get some idea of what needs to be done. I'm sure this will get fixed for
you.  Please post back. Nigel