[PlanetCCRMA] FC4 problem

Thu Feb 23 15:54:00 2006

On Thu, 2006-02-23 at 23:44 +0100, Bert Visser wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am facing a huge problem on my FC4 PlanetCCRMA install.
> During erasing a CD-RW with k3b the system gave some Input/Output error
> and completely froze. The only thing that could be done was a reset.
> However it won't boot anymore. The message I get is first "MAKEDEV: no
> such user: root" and next "error while loading shared libraries:
> libacl.so.1 cannot open shared object file: Input/Output error" and then
> lots of other failures.
>
> Anybody know how to solve this?

Hmmm, I can't imagine what is happening. Looks at first sight that files
got erased or corrupted.

Have you tried to boot single user? (edit the kernel line in grub, erase
the "rhgb quiet" at the end and replace it with "single" - without the
quotes, of course).

Another option would be to boot into rescue mode using the first (boot)
fedora core 4 disk and see what's going on in the affected linux
partition.

-- Fernando