[PlanetCCRMA] Ima Newbie; can't get through install of FC4, nomatter what I do! Help!

Nigel Henry cave.dnb@tiscali.fr
Wed Feb 22 15:35:03 2006

On Wednesday 22 February 2006 22:57, Joe Fay wrote:
> No, I haven't got through the boot.  Once anaconda starts, the system
> freezes up, and I have to try to boot and try different options.  I heard
> that this is a common problem, and there used to be a patch available, but
> when I go to the link that they recommend, there is naught but a notice
> saying that GCC was to blame, and that they've fixed that bug and released
> it.  The notice doesn't say where to get the new version, or how to get
> past install to put it in.
>
> Thanks,
> Joe

Hi Joe. Sorry to hear that. I usually do custom installs, so selected the
stuff I wanted to install. 1'st go. Disc 1 ran to completion, then asked for
disk 2. Disk 2 ran for a while, then crashed with a black screen,and the
harddrive winding down. Next reduced the packages to just X, and Gnome (I
normally use KDE). Same problem with the crash. Bear in mind that I have been
trying other options, removing packages that I can always install later, and
these have failed as well. Now I can't stand X, but I just went for an X
window install, and this was the first one that ran to completion, but again
on reboot, just a white screen. These were installs as workstation. Then I
ran the install as desktop, and didn't mess with the packages. This too ran
to completion, but again with the whitescreen on reboot. Running noprobe at
bootup only seems to bring up a screen for config of the network card. I have
seen quite a few options to add to the kernel in Grub. nousb, lowres,
nofirewire. EclipseAgent's suggestion for changing the video driver worked
for me, but how to change it before installing I don't know. All in all. FC1,
and FC2 have given me no problems. FC3 continues to crash KDE's kicker
(panel) on logout, and no feedback from KDE. I normally use now FC2 on both
machines. FC3 isn't too bad, apart from the KDE kicker problem, but FC4 has
really gone overboard. I've spent 4/5/ perhaps 6 hours trawling through forum
posts to fix this problem. Man. You shouldn't have to do this. You have to
make your choice. I'm using FC2 for day to day use and music apps. I have
FC3, and most recently FC4, but am a bit concerned about them. Sorry not to
be  more positive. Nigel.