[PlanetCCRMA] Ima Newbie; can't get through install of FC4, nomatter what I do! Help!

Wed Feb 22 12:23:02 2006

On Wed, 2006-02-22 at 13:46 -0600, Joe Fay wrote:
> > It would seem that there is a problem with your video hardware.
> > Did you try to install in text mode?
> Yes, I tried it with every argument I saw to run with it...still to no
> avail!
> > Once you boot into the first prompt (before it starts loading the kernel
> > and all that) type:
> >  linux text
> > That will start the text based installer.
> >
> > documented here:
> > http://www.fedora.redhat.com/docs/fedora-install-guide-en/fc4/ch-beginninginstallation.html
> >
> > Just for reference some more options are documented here:
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/AnacondaIsoLinux0ptions
> >
> > What to try depends on exactly what messages (if any) get printed before
> > things fail. I'm not sure of what is failing.
>
> Frankly, Fernando, I'm not sure, either.  I tried to use the Knoppix Live CD
> that comes with the distro from the book I mentioned, but that worked just
> fine, and found everything it needed to find.
> >
> > Assuming there's something wrong with support for your video card I
> > would try:
> >
> > text* -- Enable text mode for install (default on HTTP and FTP
> >         installs). Mutually exclusive with graphical
> > skipddc* -- Skips DDC probe of the monitor
> > lowres* -- Force GUI installer to run at 640x480
>
> Tried those, too.  No luck! Same white screen of death.
>
> Thanks, Fernando.  You have any other ideas to try?

Nothing that occurs to me right now. What video hardware do you have?

Something similar is happening here:
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Installing_Fedora_Core_4_on_a_ThinkPad_R30
and the text install would seem to have helped...

Again here:
http://www.fedorazine.com/content/view/384/
this guy unplugged the monitor to get things going! Maybe you could try
this, wait till the hard disk activity stops and then reconnect it to
see what happened...

-- Fernando